Apparently I am an idiot :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I admit that I had noticed that Daisy (little white EEer) had more of a comb than the other girls, but hey I ordered pullets, no worries.
I was on BYC early this A.M. and stumbled upon a post, someone came to realize that one of their pullets was actually a roo. A light bulb went off in my head and I suddenly knew that our pretty little Daisy is a dude.

Crap. Now I gotta re-home her pretty little white self.

Gina, you are close...do you need another roo?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you want to drive him to MA, I'll take him! :lol: Betty became George who became DCW (dead chicken walking) and will become coq au vin on Monday, vicious little bugger!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And you are not an idiot....only a well-trained expert can sex a young chick, and obviously, some get by the experts. The hatcheries also send cockerels knowingly as extras, packing peanuts, in the shipments sometimes. They usually let you know if this is their policy. They still should send the correct number of pullets, the roos are extras. They should offer a refund. But I don't remember if you got him through the mail or from a local source....you may still get your $2 back....woo-hoo! Whatever shall you do with the windfall???

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
LOL...yeah what ever will I do with $2?

He/she was not an extra (I re-homed those little roos right away) he/she was an intentional pick...and one of the prettiest ones too :)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I got a roo in my bunch of 'pullets' last year - he went to rooster heaven last Friday. Nasty roos won't be tolerated here, and Stumpy was one mean dude. I've got a new one getting acclimated out there, he's much smaller, won't be treading all the feathers off of fourteen hens :ep Stumpy was a randy roo!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Send us a pic of her/him to confirm. I had a pullet with a large red comb that I was suspicious of. She is still a she :D

Inchy

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok, I will post a pic. Dh is getting ready to go to work and I am using his laptop (my computer crashed) so I can't post till tonight but I will put up a pic of all three EEers and you all can determine his/her sex!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think you're an id-10-t. EE's are supposed to be notoriously difficult to sex.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
You're not an idiot!! My mom and I bought 25 EE "pullets" last year, and ended up with only 12?????? LOL the rest were all roos!!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Dace. So nice of you to think of me first. So hes an EE?? How old? I might be able to find him a home. I have a roo already with my older hens, and I think I have two coming up in the new batch of sex links. Sooo I will start asking around for you. :D