Apple Cider Vinegar

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know, my grandmother always recommended drinking a little pickle juice when you had an upset tummy......hmmmm - vinegar? I've found my Mamaw was a pretty sharp lady.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Ibicella, welcome

Those are some geat ideas, a couple I had never heard of. Oh I love learning new stuff.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
You know, my grandmother always recommended drinking a little pickle juice when you had an upset tummy......hmmmm - vinegar? I've found my Mamaw was a pretty sharp lady.
When I was a child I used to get what they call a "sour stomach" quite often. My grandma told me to drink dill pickle juice, and I did and it worked! Even today when I get acid reflux or heartburn,...dill pickle juice or ACV,..which ever one is available at the time. Good stuff! Plus I have been giving my hens ACV for over a month now,..egg production went up and I would have to agree the eggs taste much better! The yolks are such a dark orange color now,...looks like sunshine!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I got some unpasturized ACV from our local co-op (mostly organic/health foody place) for my MIL's GERD for her to try. She now swears by it. Then I decided to try a tablespoonfull myself- you know, just as a tonic. OMG :ep I barely got it down! It was so acidic- more than regular vinegar, I think. Or maybe it was the flavor? I don't know, but it was really an eye opener. I can't believe my MIL just swigs down a tablespoonfull! My hat is off to anyone who can just swig it! :bow

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I havent tried organic stuff with the mother yet. I buy it from the grocery store and it had some floaties in it so I figured that must be sorta like the mother, right? :idunno

I will try to track down some unpasteurized ACV and take a swig. The stuff from the store makes me gag so I may just blow chunks at the good stuff.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I rather like the flavor of ACV, but then I don't "do" sweet very well. For those of you having problems, is there a particular reason why you would try it straight? I should think that diluted with water, and sweetened with a spoonful of honey, would make it, possibly, more palatable for you, and that shouldn't get in the way of any health benefits. Just a thought :)

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I drink Braggs Organic unfiltered AVC with the mother a couple of times a day.

A splash of AVC with equal parts honey or better yet Maple syrup and water. Yummy!
I like it with raw honey, but getting the honey to dissolve is a pain. Maple syrup dissolves faster for me, and I do not have to buy it, where as honey I need to purchase..

It gives me energy and reduces joint pain in cold weather. I also take it to clean the liver.
ON

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My hubbies twin Great Aunts drank that mix twice a day for years and years.

Did it work?

Well they had over an acre of garden they worked with only hand tools till they were 85 and both lived into their 90's! :thumbsup

leenie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've just started using ACV along with raw honey myself. We've used it as a worm preventive with our goats. It has improved my own digestion already. Love all this feedback and new ideas. :thumbsup