Are CSA Worth It

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am glad I did it, but I can totally see someone without the willingness or ability to garden joining one. Knowing where your food came from means more and more all the time.
Right. I can grow a couple jars worth of tomatoes.... CSA is a great idea for those of us cement bound.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The only one I've belonged was mostly meat. The couple who own the farm lay out exactly what will be included each month. If something comes up and they can't deliver for some reason, they either offer something else or a refund, member's choice. The vegetables vary by month and eggs are always included. We get extra veggies because we don't need the eggs.
I know someone who belongs to the box of veg type and it seems completely different.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Now a box-o-meat CSA I would join in a heart beat!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Now a box-o-meat CSA I would join in a heart beat!
I know! I love it! I've met all the animals on the farm each year we've belonged. I've watched them roam around and eat grass. I've seen the turkeys roosting on the barn roof. We pay extra for a hertitage breed Thanksgiving turkey. It's right up a low carbers alley. I wish all of you could experience it. Going to pick up our monthly order and being greeted by the wife, who is a former student of my mother, or her school teacher husband or her two adorable kids who grab mine and take turns pushing each other in the tire swing. There's just everything right about it!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&the gals -

Where are you located in Central Wisconsin? I'd love to see your operation.

We have thrown about the idea of doing CSA farming someday. It all depends on the economy around here picking up and one of us having a job in the area. Right now my husband is working in Eau Claire and I am still back here in Marshfield. If I can't find a job by May, I will also be moving out to Eau Claire, so that would put off CSA farming indefinately.

Annette

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
chickenone said:
Ha ha good question! This post reminded me of what time of year it is and I just now signed up for a CSA. It is not the one I used in the past- I have moved- but this one has a farm store. They say:

At the farm we sell sustainably-raised products from other local farms including meat, eggs and certified organic cheese from animals raised on pasture, certified organic ****aake mushrooms, honey (some of which comes from bees at our farm), and also fair-trade, organic coffee, chocolate and olive oil. For most of the season, there are usually flowers growing for you to pick and create your own bouquets as part of your share. You can also explore the farm or play on the swings or in the sandbox!

I am excited. Thanks for the reminder.
So, chickenone, would you say that lots of diversity and local offerings are what are attracting you?

As a CSA owner, the more people retained from year to year, the better. I want to know quite honestly what makes people quit CSAs or move to another one.

This makes me wonder if I need to do a better job advertising ALL we have available here:
Local honey, soap and other skin products, turkey/duck/chicken eggs and meat, bulk sweet corn, etc.
We run a CSA too. So, I'm also interested in what makes you choose one over another.

We offer Full shares, Half shares and Meat shares. A Full share is about a 10 lb box each week with an ave weekly cost of $20. We include farm eggs each week. (They can be traded.) Other weekly treats vary including homemade jams and breads, local cheese, etc.

Occassionally we offer an option to get organic pasta or organic granola, etc. On those weeks we have a selection of things for the members to choose from.

We grow unusual things like Royal Burgundy snap beans which are purple, etc. Many members say they like the variety of things, and that they end up trying things they would have never thought of or purchased on their own. I'm often surprised at the number of new members who've never tried any leaf lettuces for example. A life with just Iceberg....uuuggg!, image that! :sick

We always grow extra for farmers market sales, so we're never short filling the boxes. We put a ticket in the box each week so members know how their weekly value was applied.

Regarding the OP, ask the farmer what's included. CSAs vary a lot.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Gotta say I'm jealous of all you who have CSAs to choose from. The closest one is an hour away, and it is very small, there is a waiting list. The one I would love to go to is an hour and a half away. It is just not cost effective for me to go there.

I would love to have a CSA nearby, and if I had more land, I would love to start one. Although I must admit I am not the best gardener, nor do I love it. I do it b/c I want the fresh, organic produce. What I do love doing though, is taking care of the animals, and raising meat critters.

Me&, do you have a website for your CSA?
Hi MTN--No, I don't. I expanded to only 20 members this year, so it still is not worth it. If I can keep growing this business, I can see having a website or blog in the future if it got to 80 members or so...

me&thegals

Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Unfortunately, like it or not, cost IS a factor. I have hit a few unexpected bumps in the past several years and it's taking time to recover -- especially when I hit new bumps. Seven or eight years ago I'd have been right in there supporting it 100% and I have hopes that I can turn things around soon.
Shiloh Acres--I completely understand. This is where I would also be. I'm like Wifezilla--I'd rather take the $ and apply it to my own seed orders. Which is how I got started in CSA--letting other people pay for my seeds :)

I hope our local movement grows in other parts of the U.S. MACSAC works with local insurance companies to offer rebates of $100-200 per family per CSA year. Plus, MACSAC has huge fundraisers and corporate donations that allow them to pay 1/2 of CSA memberships for ANYbody who applies and qualifies.

As a farmer, it makes me feel great to be able to charge enough to hopefully make a living eventually (I'm way too small now for that) and yet know that people who cannot afford a share can get help.

You can Google Bike the Barns--an awesome event where donations, auctions and your registration fee raise loads of money to fund the Partner Shares program described above... Plus, you get to eat awesome organic food as you bike from farm to farm.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Rhettsgreygal said:
me&the gals -

Where are you located in Central Wisconsin? I'd love to see your operation.

We have thrown about the idea of doing CSA farming someday. It all depends on the economy around here picking up and one of us having a job in the area. Right now my husband is working in Eau Claire and I am still back here in Marshfield. If I can't find a job by May, I will also be moving out to Eau Claire, so that would put off CSA farming indefinately.

Annette
RGG--I'm about 45 min outside of Madison. If you're interested in doing a CSA, I'd recommend perusing www.macsac.org. Sorry to keep on and on about them, but it's a great place to start.

I also got incredible help from a Michael Fields Agricultural Institute on CSA farming this winter.

Latest posts