Are we close to SHTF scenario?

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been closely watching the news and none of it sounds good. There is a huge drought that is going to affect the prices of everything. The economy is already in trouble and this could push it farther down a lot faster. Me and my family are pushing hard to get prepared asap. I don't know if planning for next year is feasable anymore. I am afraid the shtf is already happening. I hope I am wrong but I am no longer putting our prepping off to do other things.

Tractor girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Every day I check the news, and every day I see new evidence that our world is spiraling downward.
I am not totally prepared, but I have some pretty good stores in place. Food, medical, valuable books, and other things, as well.
If I had my way, I would live out in the country, with at least 10 acres, so that I could support more animals, grow larger gardens, have a well with a hand pump, have more fruit and nut trees than I have now, as well as just having a buffer around us. As it is, we live in a good-sized city, on a quarter acre.
This is where I am, and so I am doing the best with what I have been given, and I am grateful to God for giving me this much.
I make the effort to look for recommendations on self-help books, and increase my knowledge base. I try to learn new skills, both to increase our chances of survival, and in the hopes of being able to barter for things that may make life a little easier. My husband is on board with this, but not to the extent that I would like. For the time being, we all have jobs, and can support further preparations, but, as we all know, that can change in a heartbeat.
Good luck to everyone.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't watch the news much because it depresses me, but when I do, I get scared and use my fear as motivation. I'm not on my own...I have DH and 5 kids, so I have to be scared for more than me...thats my motivation. The great thing is that I win anyway. I either have a food source or I am prepared. Yeehaa!! I think its already hitting, but if we have a complete meltdown and I no longer have a job, then I'll become a full-time farmer, I guess.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I believe we all benefit from the wisdom in the following statement:
It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Stop all your consumerism and start putting away for the rain...which IS coming! Look at your expenditures and figure out how to change them into sustainable living for a minimum of two long, hard difficult years. If you have ANY ground where you live, convert it into a garden. Buy seeds for the garden NOW. Once the problem is upon us, you won't be able to get or afford them!

It is possible to profit from the rainy day but only if you have planned wisely.

Many of you write here that you see it. If you see it,act now. It is imperative that you take action, NOW while you still have a little time...very little.

Be guided by the fable of "The Ant and The Grasshopper" :old

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//