Are we living our dreams?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had a day and I am tired. I woke up earlier than my 2 little ones and niece and had dressed and drunk 2 cups of coffee and headed outside, before any of them were up, but, like I always say, its dangerous for me to go out because I see things and chances are, I will get started fixing something or another and today it was the asparagus bed.
There was a stupid chicken trapped inside and was trying to figure desperately how to get across. I thought it was possibly a roo....half Araucana and half Leghorn. Well the goat had been working on cleaning up the bed for at least 4 days and was having no more of it. Whatever tasty morsels she had wanted to eat, were already munched on and she was keeping a low profile, so I wouldn't grab her, so I took pity and grabbed a pruning shears and a leather glove, because of the blackberry vines and I spent a little time in there clearing up, until I could get the cattle panel off the top....which I can't even recall why I put it there....must be I didn't want chickens to scratch the dirt away, but idk. So cut, pulled, cut, etc....and then got the panel out and suddenly the goat is interested, so I put her in for the remainder of the day, with the chicken that still couldn't get out.
I brought DH the 2 girls :( which is all he wanted because he said he couldn't put up with extra kids and with all the problems of getting fired and whatever he was thinking about, I felt it best not to overload him. Then I really didn't want to come home, and needed supplies to finish my outdoor oven. Also wanted to upgrade on the terra-cotta pot, candle heater I have been using in the bathrooms for the past 2 years and wanted to see if I could get the supplies I needed to fix it a little better and DS has been saying he wanted a Glock 17 and I thought of buying one for myself, but he saw me tear up the target for the C&C coarse we had here, using his pistol and asked me if I wanted his to buy him a Glock and he'd throw in the holster and whatever he had, so I was thinking about that and I bought it, but didn't tell him, because I'm not sure I want to make a trade.
At an early supper at Twin Peaks, which is where DD19 is working and got a shock because she brought me the ticket and said the ticket was covered, except the bread pudding because it was my first visit, so I said that doesn't make sense....how can this place stay open if the first visit is free and she said, it was because I am her mom and it was my first time and she got me to fill out something so I can get invites for events and a free dinner for my BD, that was nice.....so I paid for a bread pudding and a tip.....to my girl Lol, and that was it. Oh, I did buy some Sketchers while waiting for my background check and that brand of shoe doesn't size like others, so don't anyone order by mail.....you best try on the shoe you want, but what a delicious feel!!!
So I was so tired when I came home, but had to pick up the goat and found a pale green egg in the asparagus bed, so that chicken is a hen.....GREAT!!! I had very few eggs to bring inside and needed to move some of the tractors around and it was so late and I felt so tired and then DD12 calls me and I swear she kept me on the phone about 80 minutes.
So guess I can just put the dogs in crates, wash up and get to bed. DD asked me if she can't sleep, if it would be alright if she calls me, so gotta go to bed with a phone.
I hate my kids being away, but I told them to try to be nice to their poppa and spend some time with him. Last time, they only stayed one night. He says its cuz they bored, but it would break my heart if I were him. Well, I have all kinds of supplies to put to good use tomorrow.....lata.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad you ended up w/a hen. I have one I STILL don't know if it's a hen or a rooster. I look at the head and think hen, I look at the tail and think roo. So, maybe it's a hermaphrodite.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I have redeemed my Araucanas, if not for their weirdness, then for their eggs coming through. True, they are seasonal layers and not known for being good or even decent producers, but it has been my experience that when other breeds go on strike, the Araucanas are the ones that give me my eggs. They are currently in a tractor, on top of my oldest raised bed, cleaning up for spring and helping me get it in shape, considerably. They have gone from one end to the other and there is only one kind of vegetation they have not tackled, which I can't ID and nothing really eats it anyways. So as I move them, I have pulled them out. At least there is less for me to pull out.
Well, its raining enough and I'm sure all the roosters appreciated me moving their respective tractors today. Looking forward to a clearing. I only brought in 4 eggs and 2 of them were blue.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hey Rhoda, if you can post a pic of your plant and a description, I'll see if I can ID it for you.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm sure one of the members can help me. Thanks. I will, as soon as I can get out there, weather permitting. Now that I've learned how to sneak pics from my cell phone to my computer files, I'm sure I can figure it out.
I'm feeling mighty lazy right now. I just got back from meeting the in laws.....DD19 will get married in May and they have their family Christmas party early, so we were invited. Humbled in a way, but I don't do a big Christmas. I have a small tree and I'm all about buying small, useful presents, rather than having huge boxes and I sure don't want to go into debt. Glad I bought a bottle of Madeira for the family, because they had presents for my girls and I have a new coffee mug filled with chocolates from my very first grandchild (who, of course, will be a step.....but its all good). But that was their Christmas and mine with my family will be in a few days.....probably the same time as all the SS community. I will give my new grandchild some little trucks and tractors to play with at that time. Can't recall if they are Tonka or John Deere. I hope my DD moves back home with me because I have more room and I had the best grandmother in the world and Momma was also awesome, so I wanted to see what all I am made of.
I got this idea from one of the members here....forget who to give credit to....to stop buying paper towels and to use flour sack fabric instead. So I cut 6 of them in 4 (24 pieces now) and want to sew the raw edges and then totally replace using the paper. The things SS gets me into, sometimes. Oh well....

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my!!! So I have been asked to post step by step instructions on how I made the terra-cotta heaters, so I got DD 12 to video me and I caught hell trying to put it up here, so I am now downloading it to youtube and I have about another half hour to go.
I have been asked by a lot of my personal contacts to start a website and post videos and such......wouldn't have thought it would be tonight.
And then here a storm starts. So hope we don't have a power shortage or anything. Of course the generator isn't hooked up to the house yet. But let me stay positive.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to try to keep a good sense of humor today. My BIL, who is DH's oldest brother called DH yesterday to see if he wanted to clean 10 broilers and keep 5 and, of course, DH said no, but that he'd call me. They are in a dog crate, on the girl's playhouse and I am about to throw them in the asparagus bed, until I find the time to deal with them.
I am glad for the free meat.....well, free except my labor....and I do think 50/50 is an awesome deal for me, but BIL hasn't spoken a word to me since DH and my last huge fight and ignored my phone calls when it was all fresh and all and I didn't even do a blessed thing wrong. If I was really mean, I'd do what I am thinking and kill 5 old roosters for him and keep the broilers for myself, but I won't. I like old roosters for slow cooked meals......more flavor.
I just don't get him forgetting all about me for over 2 years and dropping off some dirty work for me to do, on Christmas Eve and not even coming inside or waiting for me to go out to talk to him. But he will talk to me when he picks them back up and I will be nice......Oh well.
I still need to get out there with my boots :( Its really still very wet.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry back so fast, but I went out to move the broilers to the asparagus bed, feed and move tractors around and I found some broilers that had room for each another 3 Lbs of meat. This is what I have:
IMG_20151224_113138.jpg
IMG_20151224_113159.jpg
IMG_20151224_113154.jpg

But on the bright side, once they got over the shock of being thrown in that bed, they went to town eating and scratching and seem like they are at some sort of feast. Not sure if they eating bugs, seeds or mud, but they seem happy about it. I did hear a falcon as soon as I threw the first one in, so I best put some cover on top now that DS is awoke and can help me.
But I tell you what.....BIL can get his meat, real soon, but I think I will let mine stay alive for a few weeks longer. I am pretty sure I can get a little more weight on them. I have not weighed any of them, but they seem rather small to slaughter, unless I just want the meat ASAP.
Well, they are feathered out and clean.