Are we living our dreams?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, so much can get us discouraged. When our cup is half full its also half empty and its easy to look more at one than the other. I was a bit discouraged, briefly yesterday. I was thinking how DH's heart condition might severly slow down my barn's roof and how I've had to tap into my savings I had set aside for the tractor we wanted, too many times and now I will have to start over and so on. Then suddenly I asked myself,"Well, when will you live your dream?" and I just mulled this over in my mind and began thinking about all the ways I can bloom where I'm planted, regardless of not having everything in picture perfect status and according to the schedule I had set for myself.
I said to myself, "Go ahead, Rhoda. Live your dream, now." And I grabbed a net and caught an un-needed roo and slit its throat and I skinned him and did the same to the next and plucked the next. I just worked around the mess. Then I issued a death sentence for the 2 smallest drakes to become Christmas dinner. Told DS to put them where I had the roos.....well, he didn't listen to me, but I don't think that will stop me. Just easier if they don't have a big glob in their gullet. I figure if I can keep that as my motto for a while....Live your dream, now....that I will be more productive. If I have to wait for a tractor, I might wait a long time. If I have to wait for DH to be healthy, then I may never do what I love.
Well, thats what was going thru my mind yesterday and the effects are apparently still with me, so I'm going out there and live my dream. So...are you living your dream? Is something stopping you? And if so, is there a way around it??

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a good discussion to be having with one's self, particularly here near the new year, when we tend to reflect on things that could use some improvement. I usually feel blessed with my situation and lot in life, but once in a while I go through a depressed mood for a few days.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very smart rhoda.

if we wait, and wait, and wait, for 'perfect situations', well, it ain't gonna happen. Life is never perfect and far from it and we all know that :)
sometimes we don't really want to give in and give up our 'mind's dreams and that absolute way we want something', but we have to in order to seize the moment.
we might not have a next moment. You never know.

I am easily living my dream right now. I am right where I want to be. Could it be a bit better? sure :p, we all can say that. But I make sure I don't dream away my life. We can do that!

after this day to day good dream I am living...my other dream is retirement. I have that ready to go :lol: just got to get there. no rush tho, I don't want to get too old too fast ;)

Glad you are doing what you need to do. that is the way to live! right now, do what you have to get done, even if it isn't picture perfect!

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah, well not all of us have throats we can cut to relieve stress, but I'm sure it would do the trick...lol

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
Yeah, well not all of us have throats we can cut to relieve stress, but I'm sure it would do the trick...lol:plbb
:p I'm glad someone beat me to it..... :lol:

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I'm headed in the right direction and I tend to forget, it's ot being there so much as the journey! Some stuff takes so long to get done. Had a garden, still no chickens. As long as I don't just stop and get stalled out (make a little progress now and then), I'm ok with the way life is heading me.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well said rhoda, I get so busy with the doing I sometimes forget to look at what we have already done. This lifestyle is a new journey for us. We spent the last 26 years moving every 3 yrs or less. We have hit the point when we would normally be moving so reality is starting to sink in that this is a new life and home. I have a real hard time with the concept of time and knowing I don't have to be in a hurry anymore and that things I do are for us now, not the next person moving in. The concept of being around to see something grow more than one season is new. I like it!
Nancy

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah....guess I deserved that, with the rooster's neck and all. What can I say....I'm different, but not so much as a lot on here, I've discovered. The one place I can be myself and fit right in. Wanted to do 2 ducks today, but life goes on and multiple chores to do and all, so I only got one done, but have 4 more on death row. I think I have a little more than 1/2 the amount of feathers I need to stuff a pillow, so maybe I can sew the pillow tomorrow and empty that sack....no wait...I still have last years Christmas goose feather's in the shed. Maybe I have a pillow to assemble. Daylight ran away from me earlier than I wanted, so I finished up the drake, got DS to go on one of his excursions in the woods to get rid of my collection of bird heads, feet and guts and decided to make DH extremely pleased....cleaned up a bit downstairs (house up on pilings, with underneath cemented in with swings and outdoor kitchen...macho style). Its kinda his mancave and his world isn't happy unless its neat enough to call someone over for a BBQ.
Kids had left the wagon in the yard, so I filled it with all the logs DS has split, for stacking....think it might rain.
I realize tomorrow is Christmas Eve, but I do need to do at least one more duck, to have enough meat for the family.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm on my 'on time' and thats not a good time for farming, but I got out there and played in the blackberry vines today. I knew they were full of morning glory vines and the wire was sagging. Well, I pulled and pulled and no where near being done and I see that I will need help to tighten up the wires. Then I guess I can train some of those vines that are trying to take over the yard to stay up on the wire and behave. Anyway....just trying to continue to live my dream.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My cushy is not so cushy anymore, so I'm probably returning to nursing part-time. I'll be able to spend more time at home because I will make more than double my current rate of pay, so its all good. Just gotta get all the particulars worked out.
There is a very good chance that tomorrow my barn roof will be finished. Hopefully I can get the whole barn up and in shape real quick because that means money no matter how you look at it. Either I save on my meat purchases or I sell extra meat which I have raised, so sooner I have a good barn with several stalls, the better. Hoping I can have a good set up for the goats ASAP.
Plan on ordering 2 more palats of retaining wall blocks for some raised beds tomorrow also. Some beds are needed for more vegs and some for herbs. We have started a few artichokes and it looks like we will need a bed, similar to the asparagus bed for them.
I have so much blackberry to remove from the areas we need to work with, that I think I'll save the roots to make an antidiarrhea formula.
I think I will be starting a bunch of fig trees very soon in my empty milk jugs. I have room in front of the orange orchard for about 30 more trees, but I sure don't need more citrus, so maybe other frut trees.