Are You Ready To Make Due With Little Or No Gas.??

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not worried. First, they really aren't the source of our gas but sure do help control the cost of gas. THAT's a worry. But if NO ONE in the USA could get gas, we'd all be in the same boat. Hubby would have to move close to work but we are well on our way to being self sufficient.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Neiklot said:
MorelCabin said:
The only thing that worries me is the potential of them using this new threat to raise the gas prices yet again...
How high is the gas prices in US?

We pay about 14kr for one liter.

Think it's about 2,093 dollars.
After playing conversion tables for a bit that comes to about $8.10 a gallon for Neiklot in Sweden.

Here we are paying $3.14 a gallon for regular unleaded which I believe converts to 5.55kr a liter.

Here in America we drive big cars and trucks and travel long distances quite regularly, much more driving than in Europe. We are also pretty spoiled as far a gas prices are concerned when you compare our prices to Europe.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
People didnt have gas back in the day. Horses and man power were used for transportation and plowing/harvesting crops.
My problem is having a small yard that wont sustain a horse... :/

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Electric car anyone...:) ? We would still need fossil fuel to generate electric.Unless we had massive solar/wind farms going, or built more, N_ke plants...
I doubt we would have any alternative's in place, by the time we'd really need it.I suppose we will pay the price for not learning our lessons from the 1970's oil embargo, that was fun.It's also a crying shame that engines capable of getting 100 miles to a gallon of fuel, quickly disappear.Big oil has done a very nice job of keeping such fuel efficient engines out of the market place.I wonder why the wall street protestors don't protest bp and ex_on...their as bad as the banks or worse. Would anyone care for a nice gulf state oyster with a side of oil...? They really are sickening, these few in control of such matters. Sorry for my morning rant folks, guess i got out of the wrong side of my bed...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
redhen said:
People didnt have gas back in the day. Horses and man power were used for transportation and plowing/harvesting crops.
My problem is having a small yard that wont sustain a horse... :/
If I had the room I'd have a horse too..........

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Not worried, the US only imports about 16% of its oil from the Middle East. As someone else said, about half comes from the Western Hemisphere. The US has huge oil reserves, both in the plains and offshore that is currently off-limits due to regulations. Don't forget we have huge coal reserves, too.

Did you know Iran imports gasoline? They don't have the refining capacity to make their own.

Europe has more to be concerned about than we do.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea know R2D2
one problem is there are so many dang problems out there. what they heck does one tackle and one try to 'correct'??
it is overwhelming. one country tries to control another for their resources and problems start down the road. Jobs, banking industry, health care situation, welfare situations, etc etc etc.

if 'there is no gas' then there is no work. Hubbys won't need to move closer to work because there won't be any jobs.

no gas is not an option, it will be the price of gas and if it goes insane, it will break countries backs.

But like many said, adapt. It is what it is, what happens will happen and best anyone can do is pay down that debt, get yourself into a type of lifestyle that is not 100% reliable on resources/convenience.

If gas goes to $19-12 per gallon. How many could handle that? NOT MANY. I probably could. It would absolutely change my way of living (which would suck LOL like for everyone) but I could survive. BUT would my kids' school survive, would hubbys work survive, would my grocery store be able to stay open, how high would food prices soar, could you afford any insurances? When times go bad business suffers and business means life. Radical changes would be happening definitely.

I don't know, it is a crapshoot out there for sure!!

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not to worry!! If we all go from cars and trucks to horses and mules they will still tax us!!

Poop tax, someone has to scoop the poop!

Horseshoe tax, shoes are hard on the surfaces of the roads, plus the cost to recycle used shoes

Feed tax, gotta make money going in as well as going out

Health inspection, can't let sick animals walk around

Stallion insurance, can't have your stallion covering my mare while we are in Wal-Mart!!

Road worthy horse registration, have to know how many horses are out there and suitable for transportation

:lol:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chef, dont forget "emmissions" testing :p

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thats the thing, it doesn't matter if were sitting on 100 billion gal. of oil reserves.Big oil isn't going to give anyone a break.Any big/serious intruption of middle-east oil imports will rock the world. Even if we only get 16% of our oil from them.It's just an excuse to rape consumers at the pump, any excuse will do.Any big event will sky rocket fuel prices.This will have a serious ripple effect for most everyone.You can drive a horse and buggy, but a farmer somewhere is going to need fuel to grow hay and oats for your horse.If you were Amish, you'd have been doing that for a long time.They go full circle, plant food for people and theirs horses, plow the fields with very comfortable farm implements that they build.They us very little oil products.I'm just saying, big oil SUCKS.....lol, and were all going to pay for their greed.Some SS'ers will do fine, who have refined their lives to do without oil and producete food they need.Most of us will be caught with our pants down,unless your rich and can pay $25.00 a gal for fuel.