Are you really prepared? Seriously????

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We got canned food, means to heat etc.....extra blankets, med kits, etc.

Are you in shape to survive?

Are we all overweight to a degree and out of shape?

Well, I lost tons of weight and still am out of shape for the real deal!!! Can't run a marathon, can't truly trek long distance or work true hard physical work thru the full day to survive...........

what about us????

We got it all but great physical condition????????????

just wondering if anyone truly does the "body" thing to survive?

Yea I hit the gym and I lift weights and all, but my overall physique is poor if needed for real life survival.

Hmm...making me think big time now!!!

just wondering what we do and the thoughts on it all..........

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd say it wouldn't take us long to get in shape in a survival situation! :p Less food and more physical activity would do that for us. As far as a good immune system to withstand deprivation and harsh living conditions, mine is good but could be better. Better than most of the folks I meet, but that isn't saying much! ;)

FC, I'm working on this very thing this year. Developing my overall muscle tone and strength by really working this place. Sort of a forced exercise program! Especially with the boys taking off for distant points, I will have to do more of the daily chores and this suits me just fine.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if I have the spiritual fortitude to deal with a total collapse of the economy.... to deal with all the trials....and heartache, to help and not get attached to outcome.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm a little different than most folks, I guess. I would almost welcome the challenge and the return to the basics of living....working for just food, heat, shelter and clothing. I know that's easier said than done, but I was raised sort of like this....days were filled with just the basic survival struggle, no phone, no distractions, no outside interference. It felt good to lay down each night and I never had insomnia, I was in great shape and healthy as a horse.

I wouldn't welcome the struggle to keep what I have from aggressive factions, but it would certainly sort the men from the boys, so to speak! :/

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have noticed that by chucking all the fast food, slowly increasing my intake of wild game and homecooked meals, along with lugging stuff around my small homestead, I've lost pounds and gotten fitter.
Makes you realize why our ancestors didn't (and the Amish/other Plain folks don't) have nearly as many heart attacks, cholesterol, diabetes, and other weight & diet issues. They walk further and work harder than most of us do in a week. They eat more farm fresh, wholesome goods. Even the fatty things like pork are a big part of their diets, but they are rarely even heavy, much less obese. The genetic predisposition may be there, but the external factors simply aren't.

I'm simply too scared that I'll develop diabetes, as it runs in my family, to allow myself to get too far out of shape.
Hehe, there's a fad for you, Self Sufficient Lifestyle For Losing Weight! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Fat Farms....literally! Go there for two weeks for wholesome foods and hard work....and lose weight! Lights out at 9 pm, up with the roosters....get rested, get fit, lose weight!

Noobie...I think you are on to something!!! :D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been reading the serial books by Diana Gabaldon, about a woman doctor who falls through a crack in ceremonial stones (like stone henge) into the past and lives around the revolutionary war time, actually in the colony days as well as in Scotland in this same time period. Its about her love story and her work as a healer. Its kinda interesting how she works to try to survive and the things they do to get by. It made me think that we just really have no concept on how hard it was then or how hard it really could be.....they are fun books to read and I've been lost in her time for about 3 months now.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bee -- You've really piqued my interest. I'd love to see you do a journal about your upbringing in detail.

Inchy

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I've been reading the serial books by Diana Gabaldon, about a woman doctor who falls through a crack in ceremonial stones (like stone henge) into the past and lives around the revolutionary war time, actually in the colony days as well as in Scotland in this same time period. Its about her love story and her work as a healer. Its kinda interesting how she works to try to survive and the things they do to get by. It made me think that we just really have no concept on how hard it was then or how hard it really could be.....they are fun books to read and I've been lost in her time for about 3 months now.
Ahhhhh- an Outlander fan. That makes 2 of us. LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Seriously, I've been living in our own depression for 4 years (I'm talking economically, not emotionally) so yup, I'm ready.