Are you really prepared? Seriously????

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Seriously, I've been living in our own depression for 4 years (I'm talking economically, not emotionally) so yup, I'm ready.
I hear ya but I am talking physical body

even if the mind is willing to "go the distance" can the old body do it? For the real thing?

Younger people are unfit at an early age now then ever before--
Younger age doesn't mean you are any healthier than the older person (not referring to you at all, just in general)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I've lost 42 lbs so I am much better off than I have been for the past 20 years. I have always been as strong as an ox, so no issues there :p

When you are 6' tall and over 200lbs, nobody offers to help you lift things for some strange reason...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Seriously, I've been living in our own depression for 4 years (I'm talking economically, not emotionally) so yup, I'm ready.
I hear ya but I am talking physical body

even if the mind is willing to "go the distance" can the old body do it? For the real thing?

Younger people are unfit at an early age now then ever before--
Younger age doesn't mean you are any healthier than the older person (not referring to you at all, just in general)
OK, I gotcha!! Well, I've been putting fence post in by hand...digging the holes and putting in locusts posts that we cut ourselves...we don't have a machine to do it for us, so our hands and backs (er my back, not dh's) is all we have.

I wasn't "unfit" until I had babies. Been struggling to lose the baby fat, but it's coming off a little at a time. Trying to train myself to drink nothing but water, with maybe 1 cup of coffee a day....tried cutting coffee out cold turkey but that didn't work!

Most everything on our farm is done by physical work on our part, no machines to help us, so we are used to some physical activity.

We eat lots of veggies, and I try to eat chicken/turkey where DH likes to eat red meats.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've got the physical stuff it would take to survive, except for the damned arthritis, but that's just something you learn to deal with. Pilates keeps me strong (but it doesn't fill my wallet).

Reaction score
So does anybody here actually own their house? As in no mortgage. I would have to be in really good shape to carry round all that food and water after my house got foreclosed. If you still owe money on your house and the economy crashes then you will most likely be out there with all the other jobless people trying to stay alive. Having all this extra stuff on hand is good in case of an act of nature that cuts off access to stuff, but an economic collapse will do you in if someone else owns your house. Banks are ruthless.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our city house goes up for sale at the end of June. Then when we are done building in Idaho, we will own our house and land outright.

Gotta sell this place :fl

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
So does anybody here actually own their house? As in no mortgage. I would have to be in really good shape to carry round all that food and water after my house got foreclosed. If you still owe money on your house and the economy crashes then you will most likely be out there with all the other jobless people trying to stay alive. Having all this extra stuff on hand is good in case of an act of nature that cuts off access to stuff, but an economic collapse will do you in if someone else owns your house. Banks are ruthless.
Yes and I have 100 acres to go with it.

Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Big Daddy said:
Yes and I have 100 acres to go with it.
That's great. You can truly be self sufficient.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Ours is paid for, but I only have just a tick over one acre. We have that one acre pretty well laid out as far as gardening goes, and we have more than enough room for the chickens,but raising anything larger would pretty much be out of the question. That is when the hunting skills come in handy. :D :D

Oh ya.....this May 27th will be the 5th anniversary of my heart attack. I work out 3 days a week doing cardio and strength/weigh training, watch my weigh and try to keep my BMI under 19%. Resting heart rate is around 60-65 and blood pressure stays around 110 over 60 on average. I still eat a a lot of meat and 'taters but I am getting better about the fruits and veggies, thanks to my wife's nagging. :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I am very physically active, have been for 25 years. I won't list everything I do but it consists of aerobic, weight bearing and flexibility. It is year round. It reduces stress, too.
I have to keep in shape and be strong to compensate for my DH's disabilities.
I easily perform sustained physical labor for 8 to 10 hours per day. I am also a 9 hour sleeper. :/

I'm with those who feel that diet directly influences how much physical activity one can perform.

No mortgage, house paid for, but don't get me started on property taxes again! If the economy tanks and there's no jobs, they still get your mortgage free house for back taxes.

Latest posts