Artifical or Real?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wondering which is it in the case of Christmas trees,

We use an artifical tree and have for years, we paid 59.00 for it, as best I can remember.
Around here a real one the same size as ours would cost us over 50.00, every year I say I want a real one just for the smell and every year my cheap self takes over and we stick with the fake one.

So which one is it for you? and why?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We do artificial as well. Ours is a really nice 7 footer. You could always get pine oil and make yours smell like the real thing.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah I have thought of that,but it just isn't the same,unless you get to vacuum up needles in june lol

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ours is artificial. It came with the house :lol:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
We have 2 artificial trees. One 4ft that we decorate and a smaller one with fiber optic lights that change color.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ours is real wood, but a fake tree. We built it ourselves 34 years ago, and have extended it once from about 3' to 4'. I like it because, though it is fake it doesn't pretend to be real. And also we can (and do) use real candles with it (with extreme care) which I would not be willing to do with a real tree. To get the Christmas tree smell I like to cut branches from trees in our yard and bring them inside.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ours is real. I had artificial growing up, and it just took up so much storage room! Here in Oregon I can get a tree just short of 5 feet tall for $10. I enjoy it decorated for Christmas, then the needles fall into the compost pile, and the trunk is used for firewood. At least it does more than sit in a basement for 11 months of the year, and avoiding that was an actual goal of mine.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used a fake one since 99 I think. Sitting in storage for several years unused has taken its toll. We looked for a new one this year. A smaller 3 or 4 foot, but haven't found any we like.

There's a nice tree over in the field that's tempting, but I'd rather let it grow. Previous owner cut a lot of the trees on the front here.

I may go take some branches off a tree for some scent. That would be nice.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Real...

Not sure if this counts or not, but for the last 2 years (since our move out here) I decorate a cedar tree for the wildbirds with popcorn strings and peanut butter pine cones. We don't have room for one in the camper so it was a great alternative and it's awesome entertainment while drinking coffee! :caf

Our second real "tree" this Christmas is our 2 year old outdoor Rosemary. It has decided to decorate itself with flower buds and a few blooms so hubby dubbed it this years tree! :gig

Latest posts