Artifical or Real?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
Oh I like that. You might have just inspired me to plant a tree outside to decorate in the future.
I've wanted to do that for years. I want to get some type of pine that doesn't get too big, but is not any type of arborvitae. I've seen one that doesn't get tall, but it's a spruce, and has really stiff needles, so I'm still debating on it.

We use a fake. Can't have a live tree because of allergies. And, since there have been times I haven't gotten it down until February or March, it's probably just as well. :hide

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh boy....remember those fake trees that the branches looked like toilet bowl brushes? Most of you are probably too young to have had that experience. Anyway, our toilet bowl brush tree bit the dust 100 years ago. I kept the top part of it, stuck it in a chunk of wood and used it on the front porch for several years. Now that we're here with chronic construction syndrome, I don't put up our nicer fake tree, but dig out the toilet bowl brush tree, take the trash bag off of it and plug in the lights. Bingo, I'm done.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BOTH

fakei nside because I don't like the smell actually in the house and allergies kinda clog us up. had my fake for 15 yrs. in great shape still. I want a new fake one cause they are so nice now with the built in lights, but I can't spend on a new fake until the old fake is dead.

Then we buy a real one. they are $30 right now for a 6 ft. We put it outside in front of the big living room window and decorate as our outside tree decoration. But this year I didn't buy one. Not in the mood. Decorated with our lights, snowman, etc etc but didn't put the real tree outside like we have for the last 10 years.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a fake tree that's about 5 1/2 ft tall. The kids are complaining that it's too small now that they're as tall as it is!!
Growing up we used to trek out to a tree farm and cut one down until one year we got a tree with flea eggs on it. Needless to say it took months to rid the animals and carpet of fleas and my mom went out that next Christmas and bought an artificial tree.

I love the pine scent and have several candles I light but I am going to look into the pine oil for a longer lasting smell.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh man Yourbadd that just had to be horrible to have that in the house from a tree. ugh would drive me nuts :p

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a 3 ft fake tree. Doesn't take much room to store. We used to go out to a tree farm and pick one out but the dog always drank the water out of it! So got the fake, $6.00 at wal mart after christmas sale. Had it for 5 years now.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
The last few years I have been getting a "living" Christmas tree. We set it up outside on our deck in front of our living room window and decorate it with "shatterproof" ornaments and lights. Then we plant it in January.

Unfortunately, the tree we got last year had less than a handful of roots left on a 3.5' tree (after it had been dug up to ball & burlap it, before selling it as a "living" Christmas tree). So I didn't buy one this year. :p

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have never had a fake tree in the house. A real tree every yr. 7 feet tall and decorated to the max. Our little one loves decorating the Christmas tree the first week of Dec. We wouldn't have it no other way. The only problem we have is the cats love to drink the water. :) Merry Christmas to all!!!!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
My parents always had a fake tree, though we did real a few select years. I think my mom didn't like the hassle of cleaning up needles.
We've always had fake, and when I moved in with my other half he had a pewney little 6' tree that looked spindley. To me, its just not a tree if it doesn't reach the ceiling (what would happen if we moved into a house with vaulted ceilings!) so we finally found a tree at Lowes that was tall AND skinny! It was great! I love the tree, it doesn't take up too much room, but it still reaches the ceiling.
Sadly, this year we picked up a loveseat off of freecycle, and I have yet to get rid of the sofa that the loveseat was supposed to replace. So I have 2 recliners a full sized fold out sofa AND a loveseat in our living room... that leaves no room for the tree :( At this point I don't think I'll put it up, it just isn't worth the effort at this point, especially if I can't get rid of this freaking sofa. All the outside lights are up, and that makes me happy because we decorated a little more than we have in the past. In addition to the lights across the bushes in the front of the house, we wrapped the little rustic natural wood fence that we now have around the front yard. Its CUTE!
2011%2Bchristmas%2Blights.jpg

The front yard drops down to the house, so you can't see the lights against the house on the bushes, they're too small and pewney anyway... but there is the adorable fence! A good friend built the first half on the right side, and we actually put together the side on the left, which was a big deal for us!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have a fibre optic...but word of warning....if power cord is supplied...remember to pack back in box with tree...
somehow didn't get packed. and takes 4700 whatevers..and didn't manage to find a powerfull enough one....so just has lights this year...oh well
merrry christmas all...