Arugula? Need ideas!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've only used it for salads, but my favorite is a grilled steak over arugula with goat cheese. Mmmmm! I hate spinach but have started to like arugula and swiss chard.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love arugula, but hate swiss chard. Giada just made an arugula-avocado pesto on the Today show this morning.

Also, I have a friend who puts spinach on her pizza, so you could try that, especially since arugula can be kinda garlicky. She just puts sauce, spinach, then cheese and some slivers of kalamata olives. It was delicious. The best pizza ever.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to sprout arugala and could sniff that smoky perfume for hours. Put on pizza after you cook it, use it as lettuce on a sandwich, excellent on a BLT. Arugala, and goat cheese salad yummy.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Strawberry and Arugula SaladMother Earth News
4 cups baby arugula or other flavorful spring greens
1 cup strawberries, sliced
2 oz parmesan cheese, shaved (about cup)
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 T aged (richer) balsamic vinegar
1 T extra-virgin olive oil

Combine arugula, strawberries, cheese, salt and pepper in a salad bowl. Drizzle vinegar and oil over the salad. Toss gently and serve at once.

Arugula and Eggs
4 large eggs
1 cup diced shallots, 1/4 dice
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 packed cups cleaned arugula
cup grated kasseri or fontina cheese
cup minced chives

Crack the eggs in a bowl, season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and whisk to combine.

Saut the shallots, lightly seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, in olive oil until they soften and start to turn golden. Add the arugula, in batches if necessary, and cook just until all the arugula has wilted.

Evenly distribute the arugula in the pan and pour the eggs over. Cover and turn the heat down to low. Keep checking the eggs and when theyre almost-but-not-quite set, sprinkle the cheese and minced chives over, cover, and cook until the cheese melts.

Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper, cut into wedges, and serve.

Arugula and Red Pepper Pesto
1/2 lb. arugula
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 roasted red peppers
1 cup toasted pion nuts
1 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 cup olive oil

1. Blend everything together in a food processor, stopping to scrape sides and processing again. We like the pesto rich, salty and oily. A few cloves of sweet roasted garlic are a nice addition.

2. Older arugula can be bitter; this pesto can be cut with fresh spinach for milder flavor.

3. Spread on pizza crust, and top with cheese & veggies; toss with hot pasta (ziti is a particularly good vehicle); add to sour cream for a dip. You can freeze the pesto in greased ice cube trays for easy-access portions.

Arugula and Olive Pesto
3 cups arugula
1/2 cup best-quality extra virgin olive oil
1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup coarsely chopped kalamata olives, or other oil-cured black olive
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese

1. Place all ingredients except cheese in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

2. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and stir in the cheese. Taste for seasonings adding salt or pepper as desired.

Makes enough sauce for one pound of pasta.

Linguine with Arugula, Pine Nuts
and Parmesan Cheese

1 pound linguine
1/2 cup olive oil
4 ounces arugula, trimmed
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook linguine in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add arugula and stir until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.

3. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add arugula and toss well. Add 1 cup Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste; toss well.

4. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve immediately, adding additional Parmesan, if desired.

Arugula PestoAllrecipes.com
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups coarsely chopped arugula, stems
included
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil 1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 (16 ounce) package dry pasta

1. Combine the walnuts, garlic, arugula, and cilantro or basil in a food processor or blender. Whirl them just until they are coarsely chopped. While the machine is running, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Transfer the pesto to a bowl. (At this point the pesto can be frozen. Thaw it before proceeding.)
2. Stir the Parmesan cheese, salt, and cayenne into the pesto.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook it, stirring occasionally, until it is just tender. Drain the pasta, return it to the empty pot, and toss it with the pesto, adding a tablespoon or two of water if necessary to distribute the pesto evenly.
4. Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl or to individual plates, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yum!!! I use mine in similar ways to those recipes. It's great. I like really hardy greens though :) And everything tastes good cooked in bacon grease.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Dace, I can't remember if you eat pasta or not, but once I had the best pasta that had eggplant and arugula in it. I didn't even know what arugula was at that time in my life (I was just out of college and living in the city). LOL :lol: But I wanted to know how to make the dish it was so good! I think this recipe is probably similar. I have been meaning to try to find a recipe, so I'm glad you brought this up!

Me&thegals those recipes look yummy!!!!

I had a little arugula last night in my salad. It has been a while since I have grown any and I had forgotten how much I love it. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow! Great recipes and ideas guys! As always you are my go-to folks when I need to know something :)

DM....I do occasionally eat GF pasta. I have never been an eggplant lover but I am tryng to expand my horizon!
Edited to add, I just checked out that link.....looks really good, I printed it and will definitely try it with some of my homegrown eggplants ( that are just starting to flower!). I am hopeful that homegrown eggplant will be delish.....sort of like homegrown anything is better than store bought.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Ahhh . . . see I am a serious eggplant lover. Grilled eggplant is heaven to me. :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Ahhh . . . see I am a serious eggplant lover. Grilled eggplant is heaven to me. :lol:
I did make an eggplant parm with smoked mozzerella one time that was fantastic! My hubby says that EP makes the roof of his mouth itch, so I have never bothered to cook with it.