Asparagus bed

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ordered Mary Washington because LSU ag center says we need rust resistant. I have some experience with home canning. Started in 1986. I do have a pressure cooker, but I flopped once when I tried squash. Grandmother said it couldn't be done, but I figured I had the instructions and I was trying it.....Mawmaw was right. It didn't work. I hope I don't have a repeat with asparagus. I know acidic plants would be easier to process. If I'm not scared TSHTF, I can try to just freeze, but I'll try a few jars to start......but thats all a long way off. I got a REAL long wait before I even get a taste.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Dawn, I don't know how to ship them, but I'll be thinning my bed this year. (Just haven't gotten to it yet, but need to B4 they get active.) I think mine are Martha Washington. If I have some extra, and can learn how to ship them, and it's legal, I'll send you a dozen roots or so.
Awesome, Deb! :hugs I'll send you the money to cover postage.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Denim Deb said:
If you're going to have 70 plants, you'll probably be able to sell some!
Now that's just plain cruel, Deb! Sell off your fresh asparagus? :lol:

We love it steamed and I love love love it straight out of the garden...no cooking involved. Can't really describe the flavor other than scrumptious! :D

Which variety/ties did you get, Rhoda? Just curious. I've got 1 clump that I moved with me from TN and it's a Mary Washington which is an open pollinated. All I can find around here for sale is hybrids so I'm going to eventually have to break down and order some roots.
You did mean MARTHA Washington didn't you. I don't quite understand what you have against hybrids since these are usually reproduced by root cutings. The seeds are hard to save since birds seem to love them. A bed is good for about 15 years cutings are planted in a new location because they are heavy and deep feeders. with cutings you get a small crop the second year vs 5 years from seed. Rust resistance is important in warm humid conditions thst is why Martha is popular, natural rust resistance.
comtinue to care for the fernlike plants after the harvest the energy stored in the roots are next years harvest. If you have snow cover over the winter you can remove the spent tops, otherwise it is best to leave them to protect the crowns from freeze damage. Cut, do not pull the spent tops, it csn damsge the roots

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Denim Deb said:
Dawn, I don't know how to ship them, but I'll be thinning my bed this year. (Just haven't gotten to it yet, but need to B4 they get active.) I think mine are Martha Washington. If I have some extra, and can learn how to ship them, and it's legal, I'll send you a dozen roots or so.
Awesome, Deb! :hugs I'll send you the money to cover postage.
You don't need to do that. I just remembered, I have a friend that works in a post office, I'll ask her if she it's legal for me to ship them, and if she knows how.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
You did mean MARTHA Washington didn't you.
Nope...I truly meant Mary Washington. :D

~gd said:
I don't quite understand what you have against hybrids since these are usually reproduced by root cutings.
I did not say that I was against hybrids...I said that hybrids are all I can find for sale here and it's not what I am lookig for. :D I was raised up on Mary Washington and it's one that I really like the flavor of.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Asparagus is the bomb! And fresh is not even in the same category whatsoever as canned :) Truly. Stir-fry fresh with olive oil, garlic, salt and fresh cracked pepper. To die for.

Just be sure to follow planting instructions exactly. You could probably harvest a stem here and there the first year just to keep from going crazy, but save most of the harvesting for next year, and more the year after that.

We freeze our excess asparagus. Just made some last night and my family gobbled it all up before I got any! Yes, asparagus, rhubarb and spinach are the 3 wonders of spring (plus morel mushrooms) :)

kathy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Our bed is perhaps 8 years old. We started with 25 plants and added another 25 the next year. What's cool is that it has self-seeded. When we realized that was happening we saved seed and expanded the bed. It takes several years to get a bed going that way. Other options for using your asparagus are pickling (fabulous) and drying. Canned asparagus is vile but when dried it can be made into soup. I cut the tips off and cut the stalks into 1/2 inch pieces. Dri it until crispy then powder the stalks in a food processor. When you want soup, rehydrate the tips and powder in chicken or vegetable broth and add some cream. I have no problem serving asparagus every day during the season.

Mart

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh that makes perfect sense. Dehydrated is a much better idea than canned.

I did that last year and all of it went in rice, which was delicious.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had bought seeds, but a bunch of my seeds have missed somehow. And after DH's visit with DD, he didn't want to wait for the 3 years we would have needed to plant from seeds, so I ordered the plants.....and it would take longer than 3 years, seeings as I can't find the seeds anyway. But now that I have a shipment of plants coming in, I feel confident that the seeds will turn up. It works that way with Vicks Salve too. Today we are having a BD party for 2 of our DD's because their BD's fell while we were on the job, so that means we will be doing some cleaning and picking up. We find all kinds of things doing that.
I think I will plant the seeds, if and when they turn up, cuz I have several SS side lines going and someone is bound to see I have a massive raised bed along side my primary garden/bed and ask about it, when they are here for whatever food need they really came for.....then I might sell someone their own 10 plants, so they don't have to place an order for year old crowns.....or 70 year old crown, which are very rare indeed...lol.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
~gd said:
You did mean MARTHA Washington didn't you.
Nope...I truly meant Mary Washington. :DSorry, I got confused when someone mentioned Martha, I know we used to grow a cultavar with Washington in the name that was a non-hybrid, I was a litttle shocked to learn that Martha, Mary and Waltham [all Washingtons] were all popular non-hybrids! We switched to Jersey Giant, a mostly male hybrid that was supposed to be more productive, it does produce more spears but they are mostly long 1/4"diameter, and I like the short fat ones better. BTW fhanks for the link to Daves garden I loved that site and lost the link when my computer went down! ~gd

~gd said:
I don't quite understand what you have against hybrids since these are usually reproduced by root cutings.
I did not say that I was against hybrids...I said that hybrids are all I can find for sale here and it's not what I am lookig for. :D I was raised up on Mary Washington and it's one that I really like the flavor of.