Asparagus bed

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BTW fhanks for the link to Daves garden I loved that site and lost the link when my computer went down! ~gd
You're Welcome, ~gd! I love that place, too, and get lost for hours there, sometimes. :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
BTW fhanks for the link to Daves garden I loved that site and lost the link when my computer went down! ~gd
You're Welcome, ~gd! I love that place, too, and get lost for hours there, sometimes. :)
Might I suggest http://www.plantdelights.com/ Be Ready for some sticker shock and the owner often gets knocked for his Right Wing views but he does sell some rare and exotic plants. When the stuff he introduces becomes common enough to appear in your local garden center he quits producing them. Live plants only, he is in zone 7b but loves to push the ranges. ~gd

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Thank you, thank you, thank you, ~gd!

We used to get their catalog several years ago and had lost touch with them since we've moved. Got it bookmarked so I don't lose it. ;)

I'll get lost there after dark...burning stumps out of the ever-expanding orchard and need to get back outside and drag in more downed wood.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got an e-mail notification that my plants have shipped. They will arrive anywhere from today to the 25th.
The bed is all formed and the ground is turned, with a light layer of topsoil covering the turned dirt. I think DH also put in a little compost. He had me buy some composted cow manure, but the only one I could find had organic humus mixed with it. I bought 20 sacks of 40 LBs. I know I have to plant it 9 inches deep. Suppose I'll go in layers, alternating between manure, peat and topsoil.
My mom told me she has asparagus, but never mentioned it to me before. She is so weak these past few years that I can't believe she was able to keep it up, but I'm curious as to what she put together. Claims to have had it about 12 years. It can't be very productive or big....she would have given me a bunch here and there.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay,,,its the 25th. How they thought the 25th would be a possible date to have plants arrive? Today is Sunday. Well, for sure, its probably going to be here tomorrow. We all ready.
I read an article in Mother Earth about perinneals to increase your gardening potential......less work etc... Just have to get things started and keep them mulched. Well, one of them was an asparagus bed. So according to that article, I'm off to a start anyway. Think I might do a few others too. Would be nice to have something that will keep coming up and take care of us.

leolady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
When I planted my asparagus a couple of years ago, I just followed the advice I read in Ruth Stouts No Work Garden Book (1971), so was able to bypass all that digging. She recommended just laying the plants on the ground and putting a heavy mulch over the top of the plants..

I just kept adding more hay and leaves between the plants as they grew the first year. In the fall, I just covered the ferns with a lot more hay.

My asparagus has grown healthy and strong and I will be picking my first crop this year.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Still waiting. 3 days late now. I'd love to get all that manure out the bags and in the bed, but waiting for the plants. Starting to lose my religion, where this is concerned. Hope I can get it done tomorrow. Today is my first off day.

leolady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Still waiting. 3 days late now. I'd love to get all that manure out the bags and in the bed, but waiting for the plants. Starting to lose my religion, where this is concerned. Hope I can get it done tomorrow. Today is my first off day.
You really don't have to go so deep and do so much work. Didn't you read my post? It really works and works well.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I did and I appreciate it, but I live a foot below sea level and from everything I have read, it needs a very deep root system and needs well drained soil. I HAVE to have raised beds for most everything I plant. Also, I have blackjack for soil, except where we have improved the soil, but go down deep enough and its hard black and full of clay.
I called Gurney's today. The shipment they sent me was for marigolds. The strawberries will be here by the 7th and the asparagus won't be here until the 15th. So I won't hold my breath. Guess I'll work on something else SS in the meantime.

User4960

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I could live in the middle of 40 acres of asparagus growing gangbusters, and not have enough to sell!

Same thing with Raspberries!