Asparagus

Scott Henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has anyone ever grown Asparagus? This is my favorite vegetable and from what I read it will grow back every year. Anyone have any experience growing this?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had some planted for a couple years. It did "ok"....not great, not terrible. But this year I put some pigsters in the garden area and I'm afraid they might have rooted it all up.

I've gotta say though - that mine never made it inside. I would break off a shoot and munch it right in the garden!

Scott Henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I read that it does best in a raised garden.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted some crowns a couple years ago. I have to admit that I have not taken the greatest of care. But I am mending my ways, they are going to get a generous dollop of sheep manure compost. I also snap them off and eat them right then and there.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have not grown it but I really want to, so I'm watching this thread. I'm the only one in the house who likes it so it'll be my own personal asparagus garden, lol!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Years ago, yes. Raised bed, paid extra for the 2 year old crowns (harvest third year). Need to keep the bed cleaned and moist. And when that beautiful harvest starts coming in, keep the blankety blank chickens out. Lolol.

If I had property to garden, would be one of the first beds to put in.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I went looking for some pictures. Almost 8 years ago, man alive. Time is flying.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My MIL had a bed that had been growing for 25+ years. According to DH, you have to thin the bed out once in a while or the roots get too crowded to make big fat shoots. I haven't had mine long enough for that to be a problem, lol- we had our first asparagus feed this past spring and it was.... WONDERFUL. I do know you can't let stuff like blankety-blank quack grass get in there or it will choke out the asparagus. The most important thing though, is to prepare the soil very very well. After all, those roots are going to be in there for years. You can top dress with fertilizer of your choice every year, but that doesn't replace having a rich humusy soil to start with. Oh, also-- do not overwater or the roots will rot. (don't you love when they say something like that and you're asking - How much is Too Much???)