asparagus

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is plastic sheeting mil/thickness/usage chart. Some good info on plastic sheeting here

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never hurts to ask someone more knowledge than yourself.

Screenshot_20220406-122814.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought it may be benifical to show Martha Washington Asparagus seedlings getting started.

They are super thin and take weeks to finally poke through the soil at a maintained temperature of around 68 degrees. Something to consider if you want to direct sow or start seedlings.

I believe chance for survival of direct sowing around here would be very low, the seedlings would need to compete with grasses that grow like crazy when the soil warms up and they would most likey loose the battle.
IMG_20220406_214905205_HDR.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What an amazing journey! I've been lurking..:frowTook over my mom's care so really hard finding ME time..Didn't see what you used for the die back..I always have good luck with cardboard and newspaper..if it's recycled ink. Easy to get and free..I lay it thick! In fact I've used papers I have bundled as "walls" even.some are now almost 10 yrs old and Still intact! Cardboard I lay and water it..to keep in place I use something that's "advantageous" to what I'm planting..so for my new asparagus bed I used sand.. for a carrot bed I used leaves..left in their paper garden bags..then when ready just turned them in.
I really didn't do anything special when the ferns died back. I just kept on watering them when the looked like they needed water.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter That kiddie pool of asparagus looks so healthy and green.
Do you have the asparagus bed ready to transplant into?
When are you planning to transplant it?

Latest posts