asparagus

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Supposed to harvest April through May, it's March 17th, so about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Martha Washington has a sweet nutty taste and is way different than store-bought. My opinion... Martha Washington grown from seed is most definitely worth the effort, it's what I remember asparagus tasting like 👍
View attachment 25741

congrats on a nice crop and plants. :) i'm green/purple with envy...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where did you get your asparagus seed? I want to establish a bed here, and cannot find seed locally... and as you know crowns are expensive...
I looked and can't find Martha Washington asparagus seeds anymore o_O but victory seeds has Mary Washington, first released in 1919. Mary Washington comes from the Washington line.

You can read about it here https://victoryseeds.com/products/mary-washington-asparagus

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1.99 for 50 seed...https://seednerds.com/products/asparagus-mary-washington-seeds-heirloom-seeds-asparagus-seeds-vegetable-seeds-open-pollinated-non-gmo

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for all the links/tips. Ordered some from the seed nerds that @Mini Horses referenced... they also have the Country Gentleman "shoe peg" white corn I like... open pollinated... so hope to save some seed for next year after I get it all grown/planted/harvested. See how it goes with them. The price was good and a good number of seeds per package... Have you looked at the prices of seeds in the stores? and they don't give you near so much as they used to either... I am going to see what/if there are any asparagus crowns at any of the stores/nurseries... would like to try some of the purple ones for fun.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for all the links/tips. Ordered some from the seed nerds that @Mini Horses referenced... they also have the Country Gentleman "shoe peg" white corn I like... open pollinated... so hope to save some seed for next year after I get it all grown/planted/harvested. See how it goes with them. The price was good and a good number of seeds per package... Have you looked at the prices of seeds in the stores? and they don't give you near so much as they used to either... I am going to see what/if there are any asparagus crowns at any of the stores/nurseries... would like to try some of the purple ones for fun.
Purple Passion are good.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FB who does not like asparagus, snapped off a martha washington spear yesterday and tried it. She smiled real big and said this tastes nothing like any asparagus I've tried before. I asked her, so you you like it? She oh yes it's really good, it has a sweet nutty flavor. I just gave a 👍and said I thought you might like it.

I'll let the remainder go to fern, but next season its game on 😀

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Latest posts