asparagus

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Im so keen to start some asparagus here. I have seen seedlings in the hardware store but never seeds. So i might just give them a go with the tips learned here

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Im so keen to start some asparagus here. I have seen seedlings in the hardware store but never seeds. So i might just give them a go with the tips learned here
A couple of my neighbors started their asparagus patches from seeds and random sprouts from my asparagus bed. My bed keeps replenishing itself from new starts from the dropped seeds.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reviving an older thread. I want to kill off pasture grass. What type of covering should I use? I'm a little conserned about plastic shearing and UV longevity. The spot will need to stay covered until early fall without much hassle and I'll flip the soil over and till in manure then. Set my asparagus transplants and mulch well. But right now I just want the spot to be weed free as possible come early fall.

Thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are there any farmers in the area that put silage into the long bags? It is very heavy duty plastic... one use only... if so, go ask if you can clean it up for them in exchange for the bag. It will be cut or torn so they can get into it with a skid loader/bucket tractor of some sort... It has a white side (outside) and a black side (inside). Put it black side up... overlap if you get pieces... and it will need to be weighted down but will kill (cook) anything under it in the heat of the summer. Little work to get it... but they will clean it up and throw it away.....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is plastic sheeting mil/thickness/usage chart. Some good info on plastic sheeting here

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna try this 10 mill black. My asparagus bed is going to be 4 foot by 100 ft, so a little on the large side. I just want to basically "bake" the soil this summer to kill off any grass, weeds and séeds, in preparation for fall plow, till and amendment additions and transplant of seedling crowns. I really don't want to use chemicals, so I'll try some black plastic instead and hope it works.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never hurts to ask someone more knowledge than yourself.

Screenshot_20220406-122814.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought it may be benifical to show Martha Washington Asparagus seedlings getting started.

They are super thin and take weeks to finally poke through the soil at a maintained temperature of around 68 degrees. Something to consider if you want to direct sow or start seedlings.

I believe chance for survival of direct sowing around here would be very low, the seedlings would need to compete with grasses that grow like crazy when the soil warms up and they would most likey loose the battle.
IMG_20220406_214905205_HDR.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Problem...

I have at least 288 Martha Washington Asparagus seedlings sprouted, some cells have multiple seedlings. I need a cost effective way to transplant them into something to set outdoors here pretty soon. While I prepare a permanent home for them late summer early fall.

Digging around I found this old kiddie pool that the grand kids used when they were small. it's a smaller pool that's 33 inches in diameter and 7 inches deep. I also grabbed a bag of peat moss late last year that they were practically giving away. It was the last bag or I would have grabbed more.

33 inch diameter x 7" deep is 4.4 cubit foot I would still need a bit more dirt / compost to top it off, but I have cows so there's plenty of manure to mix in with some barn lime that should be ok.

IMG_20220408_133320586.jpg

I plan on screwing the pool down to a pallet, popping some drainage holes in it. Loading it up with peat moss, manure and mix in some barn lime. Transplant the asparagus and their paper cells into the pool. Use the bobcat to move it around as needed.

Do you think this is a good plan or should I.be looking at something bigger for at least 288 asparagus seedlings? Over crowding seedlings?

Menards has a 59" diameter x 6" deep kiddie pool that's about 12 cubic foot. In any event I'll probably go and pick one of those up anyways for my youngest granddaughter when she comes to visit.

Words of wisdom, Thoughts, comments?

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts