At the first sign of a cold....

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Wonder if it would work w/out the liquor.
If it is just there for sleep inducing properties I bet it would still work without it. Maybe its like a Dayquil vs. Nyquil kind of thing. Give it a shot (pun intended) see what happens.
Besides a nice warm bath is usually enough to put me out.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Normally, I have no trouble falling asleep. But, every once in awhile, I can't sleep. (Like tonight, it's way past my bed time. I was falling asleep at prayer meeting, but can't sleep now.)

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Same here. I'm tired but, I'm afraid I had to much coffee today. Not a good thing.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This made me think back to when I was a kid. If we were getting a sore throat, she'd take a cold wet washcloth, fold it into a strip. She placed it on one of my dad's white socks, then wrapped it around our necks and secured it with a big safety pin before we went to bed.

Hated it. That cold washcloth did not feel good when she first put it on. But in the morning, the sore throat was gone. Maybe the coldness made your body do it's thing to warm that area back up? I don't know, but it always seemed to work. I only remember one or two times that I got the treatment a couple nights in a row.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
This made me think back to when I was a kid. If we were getting a sore throat, she'd take a cold wet washcloth, fold it into a strip. She placed it on one of my dad's white socks, then wrapped it around our necks and secured it with a big safety pin before we went to bed.

Hated it. That cold washcloth did not feel good when she first put it on. But in the morning, the sore throat was gone. Maybe the coldness made your body do it's thing to warm that area back up? I don't know, but it always seemed to work. I only remember one or two times that I got the treatment a couple nights in a row.
Wow! That sounds strange but, hey, I'll try anything to avoid a sore throat.

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is exactly what I do too ;) My family thinks I'm nuts...my husband and older daughter will say "mom he/she (one of my younger 3) has a fever! Give them tylenol" I always say its your bodies way of fighting infection etc. I won't do anything unless it gets severe either. I should make him read this site lol

Beekissed said:
Heating up your body, then heating up your core, can simulate a fever. A fever causes an increased immune response of white blood cells that hurry to the source of invasion and helps your body fight off an infection/allergy response. This is one reason I always let children and the elderly have low grade fevers and do not administer anything to stop the process unless the fever gets more severe~your body's own response is the most important one and is among the first line of defenses your body has available.

The Vit C in the lemon juice is also an immune system booster and helps fight infection right when you need it most. The alcohol helps you sleep and gives your body a chance to direct all energy to fighting infection instead of to coughing. Coughing is an enormous effort that redirects blood flow to the muscles involved in the cough reflex just when that blood flow is needed at the source of infection.

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
First sign of a cold I grab my horehound throat lozenges (I swear by these). What I have growing in my herb garden are the basics for just about any problem one can encounter... Catnip, Lemon balm, peppermint, Ginger, Echinacea, are just a few of some 20 different herbs for colds, though I also love bee balm. I'm a tea drinker so most of these in tea form are what I grab.

Dirty Harry

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Or you can keep from getting a cold in the first place. I used to get sick several times a year. I worked in a prison so I brought all kinds of bugs home. I would get sick and then the whole family would get sick. About eight years ago I was having a really bad time of it and my wife was talking to a woman who ran an herb/health store, expressing her frustration with trying to treat the problem. She asked the woman if she knew of anything to take. The woman was reluctant to answer her directly and stated that she wasn't supposed to perscribe specific remedies for treatment. The woman asked if my sickness usually started in my nose, throat, ears, etc. or my chest. She told her about two products from Nature's Sunshine. If it starts in your head, which mine always did, then you take an herb combination called Fenugreek and Thyme. If it starts in your chest you take ALJ. I have not had a cold, sore throat, flu, or anything for the eight years I have been taking this. I know you are going to ask how much I take. I was sick when I started on it so I took two capsules every couple of hours through out the day. After I got over the sickness I cut back. Now I take two capsules every morning. If I have been around sick people or don't quite feel up to par I will take a couple more at night, just for good measure. I don't know if this is a cure all or not but I am at eight years and counting.