Attitudes towards "Trash Picking"

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Our local freecycle is awesome. I post more to give away than wants, but usually I can get what I need. My last WANT was for a kiddie pool for the ducks. Those are impossible to get out of season around here. I got a faded but perfectly water tight one. The ducks love it.

I know one of the people on the group who sells stuff or uses it to trade for other things. She used to work with a friend of mine. When she replied to my post about plus sized clothing I had to give away, I just ignored her email until someone else replied. "Sorry! Someone already got them" LOL I know they weren't for her. She is about 125lbs soaking wet and she is about 5' 8" tall!!!

I put stuff out all the time in front of the house with a FREE sign on it. Gave away a dresser a few weeks back. A teen took it for his grandma who came to live with them. He came to the door to make sure it was really ok to take it (how cute is that!??).

When we were kids my brother and I used to recycle aluminum cans to pay for our fun activities. Our favorite method was to throw our little sister in to the dumpster and make her throw the cans out to us then we would fish her out after. We came up with this scheme when sis was about 3, brother was 10 and I was 13. When mom found out BOY WERE WE IN TROUBLE!!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
When mom found out BOY WERE WE IN TROUBLE!!!
Yep, those little schemes that seem so perfect, when you're a kid, always seem to not go over so well with the parents.

Mine was hiring my little brother to do the grass the cutting jobs that I secured, and then paying him half of what I was getting. Leaving me free to play ball with my friends and still make money. It worked well for about a month, and then my dad found out. Ouch!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
All we were doing was exhibiting advanced management skills!

sundance creek

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I needed some culvert to cross a wet spot where I,m building my trail for my atv..The town was having all the sewers replaced and I noticed a big stack of ends. so I went to the site and asked where the white hat is(boss)..The boss sent a guy with me to make sure I didnt takle anything of value but I got 2x5ft sections(12" pipe) that fit togethere to make 10ft..great score

Gord
Ontario
canada

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
sundance creek said:
I needed some culvert to cross a wet spot where I,m building my trail for my atv..The town was having all the sewers replaced and I noticed a big stack of ends. so I went to the site and asked where the white hat is(boss)..The boss sent a guy with me to make sure I didnt takle anything of value but I got 2x5ft sections(12" pipe) that fit togethere to make 10ft..great score

Gord
Ontario
canada
:welcome
That was a great score. I'm a little timid about asking for stuff but I better get over it if I want to get stuff like that!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH use to squalk when I would yell "PULL OVER". He doesnt any more since I got 5 unopened packages of shingles from a FREE pile for the roof of the coup. He and I, the other day, were going to pick up 6 barely used winter tires w/ rims ($100) from a poster on Craigs List. As we were driving down the street where we were to pick up the tires, I spotted a sewing machine case, old (aka "better than those made now") foam cooler, and a 30" dimeter 12" deep galvanized round wash tub with no dammage. I yelled "PULL OVER" and without complaint he wheeled right up to the curb. I hurredly hopped out and put my finds into the back of the truck. We then went down the street about 6 houses and purchased the tires. What a great day!

UnsophisticatedFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love to give and get from Freecycle or Craigs list. The most I have recieved were items that have blessed me beyond measure..

A 1918 Up right Whitney Piano ( free from a fellow home school momma)

2 China hutches ( one solid wood) both of whom I was able to restore

I dumpster Dived and found me a Microwave cart and took it home and gave it a fresh coat of paint.

I even got a nice old antique 3 drawer dresser that I took home and refurbished..

the Latest Freecycle I was given after I posted a Wanted was a Burn Barrel!

Recently on Craiglist we were given a free Chinese Goose to add to our barn yard flock.

I try to make sure that anything that i post for a want is because I can use it in several different ways... each item I have given has been wonderful in helping me to utilize the lack of cabinets in my home.

I have also been blessed in knowing that some of the stuff I have given away have helped some one else also clothes, desk, ect...

I think anything that still has life in it should be salvaged its all apart of learning to make do with what you have.

JEANNIE

DeafMomof4

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We dont fear trash picking! We EMBRACE IT! We got a good ride on lawn mower that was TRASHED, a friend got a good GATEWAY laptop that was TRASHED! A friend found a bag full of BRAND NEW CLOTHES for men that was thrown in the TRASH! We even got building materials, Bikes, kitchen tables, even kitchen supplies...all out of someone else's trash. We dont CARE what others say or think when we find some treasure lurking it those big cans that people call GARBAGE!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I scored again yesterday, when I stopped to investigate the contents of two drawers that had been set beside the road. I was able to save:

1. Beautiful cut lead crystal stemmed goblet (12 oz) I have put a glass votive holder into the goblet and I have it lit now beside my computer for "ambiance"

2. Cut lead crystal water glass and candy dish, both are perfect!

3. 2 sets of New Yankee Candle small porceline glass shades and saucers. They still have the Yankee Candle tags on them. (shades: $7 each, saucers: $6 each)

4. Large Painted Crackle Glass shade and saucer set. New with the Yankee Candle tags on them. (shade $9, saucer $7)

I have new candles at home that will fit the 2 smaller shades and will match them up and give them as gifts. I will be on the look out for a candle that fits the large shade. That one will be a gift, as well.