ATTN Sewers....any suggestions?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Hey folks, not to long ago on BYC a person made a tote bag out of their feed sacks. I thought it was a great idea, and I tried my hand at it. I like to think of myself as a decent sewer, making a winter outfit for my nephew when he was born, hand sewing a quilt, sheets/bedding for a friend's baby crib, etc. So, here is what I ended up with (no pattern, just cut up the bag and 'winged it', lol)

DSC06590.png

So my question is, does anyone have a suggestion for the type of thread I should use? I'm using the term 'thread' loosly here, I know it needs to be heavy. With this first bag I used quilting thread, but am not sure that would hold up to groceries, or apples, or whatever. I don't have an industrial type sewing machine, and used a heavy guage needle (used for denim) on this one.

So, any suggestions? I do have a Jo-Ann Fabrics around here, btw. :) thanx!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Oh thank you! I can't take total credit for the idea, like I said, saw one on BYC...but if I took every feed sack and made a tote, I'd be over run with them LOL :D

That makes me wonder....if I used them for things around here...storing scrap material, seasonal items, etc....hhmmmmmm :hu

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Looks great! :)

For thread I'd say just get the heaviest stuff you can, and more expensive is better than cheaper (in my experience you pretty much DO get what you pay for in thread - the super cheap stuff is thin and slubby and breaks easily).

If your machine will handle it gracefully - not all will - you could even try using monofil fishing line. I've repaired horse blankets that way on occasion. Monofil thread is not IME all that super strong b/c it is so thin, but if your machine will cope with sort of an 'average' thickness of fishing line it holds up real well. Take extra care to hand-tie knots on the start and end 'tails', and put a blob of fabric glue on to further discourage it from untying itself.

Or you could hand sew it (with a thick needle, or probably even iwth a sewing awl like you'd use for tack or tent repairs) using a THICK waxed thread (like you'd use for tack) or the heaviest grade of hand-quilting thread.

Have fun,

Pat

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was going to say try using fishing line but patandchickens already had. My Grandmother used to use it all the time to repair overalls and other really thick materials. It worked on her machine.

I love the bag! Think maybe you could sell the bags you make somewhere? The farmers market or ebay, that kind of thing? Just an idea if you could use some extra cash?!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx Pat for the fishing line suggestion...I may try that. :)

Nugget....good idea for selling them around here. There are craft shows, and those types of things around, so I may see if I can put some out to sell. Even at $1 each (which is what the smaller, canvas bags in the grocery are going for) its better than putting them in the landfill. And thank you for your suggestions!

Of course, the 'prototype' is always rough, as is true with this one. But the mistakes I made with it, and the measurements all will make each one to follow that much better.

Thanx again everyone...and if anyone else has a design idea, or even wants to purchase one, just let me know! :)

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pioneergirl - would you consider shipping some to me if I would pay the cost? I really like the bag and showed the pic to a couple of friends and they like them too. Let me know if you are interested in growing your new business!!!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY!! :D Do you have a time line when you need them??? I have figured out a way to use the string they are closed with to sew them with...(did that make sense? lol)...they will be hand sewn. I am getting more feed today, and have 4 bags waiting to be 'transformed'. Just PM me with your addy and details. Hugs to you!! :)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:gig I made one of those as well.

I would suggest some type of nylon - if you have an overlocker use "wooly nylon" its very strong.

SANY0411.jpg

SANY0412.jpg