ATTN Sewers....any suggestions?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Oh yours looks way better than mine!! lol....your handles are longer, too.

I found that using the string that held the bag together on both ends is great for re-sewing the bottom and the handles on. I figure if it can hold 40lbs of feed, it can carry some groceries, lol

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Great bags!

I was going to suggest carpet thread. I used to get that at Joann's when I was making heavy braided rugs.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Good call on the carpet thread...I'll have to check it out, thanx!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I love the look of your bags as well!

My Grandma used dental floss for sewing "hard to hold" items like buttons. Maybe that would work?

Also if you allowed one of the bags sides to be long enough to wrap completely around the bottom and up the other side on inside of the bag it would be stronger. This way you could double the bottom materials and still retain the cute logos on both sides. The same with the straps. Make them completely encircle the bag to help support the bottom more.

Just some ideas.

Keep up the good work.

Farmfresh

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What a great idea, I was going to use my feed bags to block weeds on my path ways. Maybe I'll try this. How about upholstery thread? Wow, one more project on my list. Great job though.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
What are those bags made of? My feed sacks are like a thick paper and no glossy coating. I don't think I've ever saw any that pretty here.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My bags are like a plastic....but woven. Ok, that makes no sense, but I guess way to describe them is ....well, plastic. I'm not real sure, to be honest. If I look real close, I can see the small, and I mean SMALL strips of the plastic, woven together like burlap. *sigh*...wow, this is just getting worse! lol

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I also was going to suggest upholstry thread, that's what I use on anything like that. Great bags!! I will have to try that.

Monica

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
My bags are like a plastic....but woven. Ok, that makes no sense, but I guess way to describe them is ....well, plastic. I'm not real sure, to be honest. If I look real close, I can see the small, and I mean SMALL strips of the plastic, woven together like burlap. *sigh*...wow, this is just getting worse! lol
Wildsky's look to me like the bags we get Southern States Black Oil Sunflower Seeds in for our chickens. But Pioneergirl's bags look like the bags we get PMI Exclusive dog food in. We feed Purina Flock Raiser to the chickens, which is just layered paper.

edited for clarity