ATV for Farm Stuff - need direction from y'all

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No tractor here. All I have is my mower (garden tractor) and a trailer that can fit 10 5 gal buckets. It would just be nice to get an ATV or something to use and then get a zero-turn mower with a wider deck than 48" so my mowing could take less than 3 hours :/

Also, an ATV would be faster than a mower, so I'd save some time there.

No tractor for me either. But I do have a bobcat with a bucket and forks and also a sawmill. It is really nice to be able log your timber and cut your own lumber. Even if it is just rough cut spruce or pine or fir for construction grade lumber.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We love our Zero-Turn - it turned 3 hours of mowing into 45 minutes!! We did spend more than we should have, but DH likes to get the best and bought a commercial grade one. Now he is looking for a bagger attachment for it, and they do make one, lol.

+1 for a zero turn. If you do get one, get one with high horse power (25 or better) and thick welded steel deck.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
+1 for a zero turn. If you do get one, get one with high horse power (25 or better) and thick welded steel deck.
I made a point to get my current riding mower with a welded deck instead of a stamped one. I think it's pId off so far in just not damaging it.

I've been lookijg at a Toro Titan. My neighbor has one and love it. He also knew a guy that worked for Toro, so he got it wholesale. The bastard 🤑

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always wanted to go to the Boundary Waters! ( I am assuming that is the BWCA you are talking about.) Have fun!!

Yes, the BWCA. We had a good time, though there were a lot of folks out there which caused us to have to portage more than we wanted one of the days.

One of our portages was a 2 mile one. Whew! :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hijacking my own thread here ;)

map.jpg

@wyoDreamer so, from a mileage perspective the trip wasn't really long, but the highlights of the trip from a sheer craziness aspect were...

1) The 626 rod (basically 2 miles) portage at the top of the screen. The last 2/3 were easier than the first 1/3, but it was still two miles of carrying a pack and a canoe.

2) The Stairway Portage, which is to the left of #1. When they give a portage a name and not just a number (#327 is the ID number for that one) you know there's something special about it. This one is essentially a 1200' / 390m uphill mental struggle. I walked to the bottom of the steps then looked up and had a good belly laugh before doing a "you can do this" speech and getting a move on.
OI000029.JPG

Overall it was a good trip, but it was busy, so campsite finding was tough.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i lived in the UP of MI for 15 years and did a lot of fishing up in the Keweenaw Peninsula (i walked every stream or river i could get to). most fishing was stream walking, but in some years we also canoed or kayaked.

my fishing buddy and i had a trip to the BWCA all planned and were on our way when he blew out the transmission on his car. so we never made it. :( now i'm much further away and unlikely to make that trip, but it's a nice daydream in the middle of the summer heat to think of the northern cooler woodlands and streams. the nice thing about daydreaming is that i can forget the blackflies and mosquitoes.