ATV for Farm Stuff - need direction from y'all

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never bought an ATV and I've ridden one maybe 10 times total, but I think getting one to use for my work would be good and reduce my leaning on my garden tractor so much, which would also allow me to at some point sell my rider and get a zero turn mower with a wider deck, which would also reduce the time it takes me to actually mow, which is currently around 3 hours o_O

Anyways, I've never bought one so have no idea what to look for (1) as a minimum feature set, (2) size of engine, (3) what price point I need to be willing to hit to get quality, (4) things to absolutely sure it does NOT have, (?) ...

Uses:
  • Hauling trailers around full of 5 gal buckets of trees, manure, water, dirt, ....
  • Winch for potentially pulling crap trees out of the ground or hauling some downed stuff
  • If it had a blade I'd use it for snow plowing
  • Be able to just get somewhere faster than on the mower
  • I have 5 kids, so one that at least someone else could jump on it with me would be goo
Reducing mowing time and increased transport speed overall would help with spending more time with my kids and wife :)

I'm not going to buy new as spending 8k on this is not appropriate given everything else in my life, but I could see spending 1200 (do I need to be willing to go up from that?). Auctions certainly can get you a deal, but are we in an age now where auctions are so well marketed that you might as well just go CL or FB Marketplace and skip the whole auction process and timeline as you aren't going to save enough $$?

Thanks for whatever help or thoughts you can provide.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well, my wife gave me the go-ahead to use a significant amount of cash from our House acct after the deck is done being built. So, that expands my budget into that 4k range and makes it obtainable to get what will be useful for us without regretting the purchase. I hate note spending what you should and regretting it later.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's all about what each needs....I have a bagger & a pull sweeper for the mower. Each has a use. I work here alone 98% of the time, so it makes a difference. I use the backhoe when fencing because I can raise, lower, go right or left, stretch etc. Really it has been a huge help for far more than digging. LOL BUT -- digging was main reason for it. The tractor provides the strength I need to push, pull & lift -- No man, no backtalk, no dirty laundry :lol:

I've hired self & tractor out for work on occasion. Little extra $$.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For me, it never gets past thinking "that would be nice" stage. Instead, I crank up the tractor and load the FEL with tools. But no mountains, rocks, heavy issues. I've even use the mower & wagon to transport around sometimes. Depends on job & power I need.
No tractor here. All I have is my mower (garden tractor) and a trailer that can fit 10 5 gal buckets. It would just be nice to get an ATV or something to use and then get a zero-turn mower with a wider deck than 48" so my mowing could take less than 3 hours :/

Also, an ATV would be faster than a mower, so I'd save some time there.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We love our Zero-Turn - it turned 3 hours of mowing into 45 minutes!! We did spend more than we should have, but DH likes to get the best and bought a commercial grade one. Now he is looking for a bagger attachment for it, and they do make one, lol.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Picked up this little 50cc gem for my kids today :)
20200706_180743.jpg

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
+1 for a zero turn. If you do get one, get one with high horse power (25 or better) and thick welded steel deck.
I made a point to get my current riding mower with a welded deck instead of a stamped one. I think it's pId off so far in just not damaging it.

I've been lookijg at a Toro Titan. My neighbor has one and love it. He also knew a guy that worked for Toro, so he got it wholesale. The bastard 🤑