Autism diet - no gluten, no dairy, no soy

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just looked through one of my Autism cookbooks they have a Meringue cookie recipe listed as a treat, which would be festive made with peppermint flavor or whatever is acceptable to their diet.

also I was trying to think of comfort food and I have made pancakes from a GF/DF mix (I cannot remember which one because I have stopped buying most prepacked (aka expensive) food items. but could easily find recipe from scratch online) then added bananas and vanilla and cinnamon, they were quite tasty.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Delicious-Gluten-Free-Dairy-Free-Pancakes-342995
for example.
Also look for Earth balance soy free/DF butter available also that should help with flavor/baking options.
Costco's brand pure vanilla is GF also
Kudos to you for making the effort, my family is lost as to where to start to make anything for us :weee

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I find this totally interesting. My friend, who has a severely autistic son, was just over here today. The boy, who is14, and now way bigger than mom, and almost bigger than dad, is getting so strong, they are having a difficult time controlling him, at least they did in my home today.

I know for a fact that she hasn't tried anything diet wise for him ever. Up until about 4 years ago, they let him eat junk, saying that it was the only thing he would eat, and they didnt want the battles, at least he was eating something. He is hypoglycemic, and has been in the hospital many times because of this. One time it was really bad, and the Dr, basically gave her sh*t for letting him eat junk. so she has gotten better, but...

So, changes in diet might help him???? Even for a severely autistic teen?

I will look through your links Abi, thanks!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
abifae said:
ESPECIALLY for a severely autistic child.

A big part of autism is that we don't filter. We can't block out any input. This includes physical. Which means that extra chemical that most bodies can sorta flow with and adjust themselves to... we just get sick and flip out LOL.

It's real convenient. *sarcasm flag*

So... any stimulation we can REMOVE helps. A quiet room to calm down in is the mental equivalent to going organic. The fewer chemicals an autistic takes in, the less physical stimulation from the inside.

So it's a good thing. I wasn't able to work really on a bad diet. Now I'm holding down a job.
WOW abifae! I wish I knew all of this back when I was teaching young children. I had what I suspected as an autistic child in my classroom. (Parents were in denial then they pulled him out eventually.) I maintained a calm and peaceful classroom, but that poor boy was sent crap in his lunch box. :( I knew it was bad, but I never thought of it as too much "stimulation".

grannyB

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
WOW! :ep

I'm gone from the forum for a day look what happens!!

Thank you :bow Thank you ALL :bow

There are so many great suggestions it will take me some time to go through them thoroughly and check out all the recipes and links. It's way more complicated than I thought it was. I am going to give this info to DS and DIL. I know they have done research but may not know all of the diet info. It is hard to get the twins to eat vegies, but the parents are not healthy eaters so I don't think they try very hard. They are not creative when it comes to food.

I probably won't get anything made for them before I go, but maybe can make something when I get there. I like the simple peanut butter cookie recipe. The twins could help make them. I sure wish I lived closer to them so I could feed them more often.

I will definitely look into the pancakes. That was one of their favorite foods.

Three cheers for the members here. :ya :clap :celebrate

grannyB

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
abifae said:
yep yep.

people don't really understand stimulation, i've found.

"can't you just ignore it?"

what part of: I HAVE NO FILTERS did you miss???

lol. "how is food stimulating?"... other than raising insulin... and autistics and hormone regulation is a WHOLE 'nuther topic....

i could give a very thorough lecture if anyone wants though. seriously.
I would love to hear your lecture (or read it, LOL). Would this be a suitable topic for the SS blog?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
we are exceedingly literal. i know i show examples constantly but i shall rely on people who know me to point them out with much giggling at some point.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :gig

I need to send a link to this article to my SIL and BIL. They took away their autistic daughter's keyboard because she "gets to excited" when she plays with it.

:barnie