Automatic dishwasher soap

hsm6kids

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been making my own laundry detergent, spray cleaners, and baby wipes for some time now and find they work just as well as anything I have bought before. Recently I was given a dishwasher by a friend who was remodeling her kitchen. I must say it is a huge help for me in the kitchen especially since I have a big family. It has got me thinking though that there must be a way to make my own soap for it too. I looked around on the Internet and found a few recipes but most found that what they made at home didn't get there dishes clean and left a film on them. I was just wondering if any of you have made your own and if so what did you use and how did it work?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this was discussed on here somewhere already. I think a combination of borax and the arm and hammer washing soda was used? Not sure? Or just one of them? Try doing a search on the forum for it.... sorry, not much help for ya, but I know it's here somewhere! :)

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We do a 1:1 ratio of baking soda and borax, using white vinegar as the rinse agent. Use 2 tbsp per load.

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok I know someone will make a face when they read this but it works. Ok I absolutly loath my dishwasher, It always always lets me down. Never fails, it'll do its thing and when I go and open the door to get dishes out I just shut the door and walk away because Im so mad. Still dirty, like glasses, dirtier then they were when I put them in there. We have hard water so I too have a greyish etching on my dishes. I told dh that one day he was gonna come in here and find bullet holes in it. btw it's only 2yo. I think mainly it's the water but its also due that dh baught the cheepest stainless steel one ever made. Ok heres the good part, my neighbor across the hwy has a kitchen that belongs in a magazine. no joke. very high dollar stuff and the stove, omg its nice! She has a bolch or bosh sorry for spelling something like that anyway her dishwasher cost a bunch! She said that she puts 1/4 measure scoop of CRL in with her dishes on the top rack, and her dishes come out perfect. I tried it and it works. 1/4 isnt enough to make us sick. However I quit using it because it's so exspensive. It's cheaper and faster for me to wash dishes by hand. Im good at anyway, been doin it sence I was 7. just thought I'd share that with ya'll.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Calcium Rust Lime, remover? I know they sell it at Lowe's.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She meant CLR :) Its great for removing white powdery lime stains, and its safe for cleaning your coffee pot according to the label, however it would get spendy as mentioned for everyday use.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You can use a 1/2 TSP of borax in each cup & vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. Or you can use 1-1 ratio of borax & baking soda w/vinegar again. The first load with the vinegar will smell a little strong but after that no problem. My new dishwasher(which I am calling GE tomorrow as it makes horrible noises) does not get my dishes very clean at all. But my older one(3 yrs) from the old house worked great with either combination.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She has a bolch or bosh sorry for spelling something like that anyway her dishwasher cost a bunch!
You mean Bosch :) (That's our dog's name) Yes, we are looking at a new dishwasher now and the Bosch was $1200.00! We read through Consumer Reports and will check out the Kenmore for $350.00.