Average daily kWh?

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OCF, wow! Those sure are some low numbers, that's awesome!

miss_thenorth- I've heard about those smart readers too. Wonder how long it'll take to get them out here? Hmmm..

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sweetproserpina said:
OCF, wow! Those sure are some low numbers, that's awesome!

miss_thenorth- I've heard about those smart readers too. Wonder how long it'll take to get them out here? Hmmm..
If you're out in the boonies like I am (seriously, I'm just outside a small town, but...) apparently out in the country its supposed to be a while. My Mom has it on her house, but it is not working yet.

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Woot! I just got my elec. bill today (okay, so getting bills isn't that great but..) for July we got the elec. down to..

... 20.3 kWh :D

sweetshoplady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Put your hot water heater on a timer. Or turn it on and off each day. My parents had theirs on a timer. My hot water heater uses 4600 kws/year - energy star. 400 a month. Its 1/3 + of my electric bill each month.

I turned it off. I'll turn it on about an hour before I need it. I also found that washing dishes in the garage sink - thewater gets fast almost instantly rather than the kitchen sink.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all and first post here,

Great idea for this thread! I love this kinda stuff. I try to get people to talk about this kind of thing round here and they look at me like I'm from Mars. Anyway...

Last electric bill. 15kwh per day! But.....hold on to your hat folks our average rate is 20cents per kwh....

11pm-7am= 7cents per kwh
7am-3pm?= 20cents per kwh
3pm-11pm= 29cents per kwh...no really...

I hear in the UK it's double this so feel happy folks.

we've

No A/C
No clothes dryer
all cfls
all wood heat
all electric hot water heat pump
all electric IR cooking and oven

The bad news is even at 15kwh/day I still avg. 100$ month

Greetings from Japan,

johnElarue

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
greetings from NC

$100 a month even with that low usage....UGH---prices today are just not friendly are they???--LOL-LOL

have fun posting on the site...great tips and info to live more self sufficient and be more independent and "save money"--we all love that one..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK EVERYONE

I went to Lowes a few days ago and bought all CFLs for the house......just chucked the old bulbs and turned all of them over. I love the fact that CFLs do not heat up like old bulbs, makes a real difference in the bathroom where I have a row light over the sink and big mirror....I could feel the heat from the old globe bulbs...these new CFL globe bulbs, WOW, I can touch them while in use and not HOT like the old ones.

I honestly hope to see a true drop in usage with all CFLs in the house now....sadly 1 stupid light fixture in a small ceiling fan can't hold the CFL bulb, darn it...LOL---the bulb is just too long and the stupid glass fixture won't fit. But other than that one bulb and my dusk to dawn light outside, I am totally CFL now.

We shall see what I save!!!!

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick,

You won't regret it! Just think 4 cfls at 13watts each vs. 4 reg. bulbs at 60-100watts each.

Last time I was home I tried talking my family into changing and they said oh I don't like the color etc...
Puh-leeze, yeah they take a little getting used to, but it's not that bad. For me the warm yellow ones are fine.

Looking forward to posting lots here, thanks.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I agree about the color----I honestly like the light better from old bulbs, but I know I have to get away from them, so I will adapt to the new light.

In my dining room which is rectangular the light is not bright enough....so going to buy the 25 watt bulbs and upgrade those....I just need more bright in that room.....Nicole does her craft projects and pre-school homework there..LOL---so next shopping trip I will get 2 higher watt bulbs for that room......other than that I will be fine with them.

Thanks for saying I did good and won't regret it..HA HA...my hubby Tony thought I was nuts to bother with such little savings, which should be about $25 per month off the bill if I did all my wattage homework correctly! I hope to see that difference.

Kills when he is so narrow minded like that but hey?? I just do what I want and bypass him and save money and resources anywhere I can

Post away----we need all the new great tips etc. we can get!!!! :)

Have you always lived in Japan?

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Kills when he is so narrow minded like that but hey?? I just do what I want and bypass him and save money and resources anywhere I can

Post away----we need all the new great tips etc. we can get!!!! :)

Have you always lived in Japan?
Yeah I don't see what the big difference is, they're a bit less bright, but you get used to it.

Been here 9 years now, we go back to the states every 2 years for vacation, visit the family, re-charge the cultural batteries, and eat, eat, eat, haha.

Thanks for the welcome.