Average daily kWh?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea we can adapt to the light change.....I mean really, ya know..HA HA

I am glad you like Japan...you sound like that system works well for you! I am tied to the ground here in NC with Tony having a farm......he would never leave his land. So one place for me from now on..LOL

I am sure it is amazing living in a different country! Post all the great tips you acquired from there....a different point of view is a good thing to know on how the other country handles everyday crunch problems like saving electricity and other resources!!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use 16 KWH per day, on average. We do not have an electric hot water heater. Our hot water come off our oil fired furnace boiler (probabley costs more than electric now a days). I line dry my clothes in my basemet year round. I do have a dehumidifier there that I use in the summer. Every light that can be changed to a CFL has been changed. We put the first CFLs in about 7 years ago and just recently had to replace those first CFLs. Our stove is propane but we do have an old freezer that I am sure is not too energy efficient.
Our elecric bill is usualy around $90. Our rate is .07 for the first 100KWH and then .15 for each KWH after. I am thinking about using power strips for the computers and TV/Dish but the location of the outlets that they plug in to are not convieniently located and the cords on the for the power strips are too short to locate them so that the switch is easily gotten to.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I used to be at 14 KWh, and lower, per day until my oldest moved back in with me....now at exactly double that! 28 KWh!!! :mad: In April I was at my lowest with a bill of $17.68, actual reading.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't have any yet but my husband says LED lights are the future for energy savings, both in production of them as well as use. They are starting to become available at stores that specialize in lighting.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup LED is the future and they are working hard I am sure to get some homeowner type bulbs on the market! I want them!!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe we're at 29kWh/day, and that's running just the house, septic, water heater, any electrical components to the furnace, garage, two well pumps (one for the extension and one for the main house, the one in the extension brings water to the washing machine, and wash tub in there), water softener, water treatment, etc. All of these pumps are ancient, and with the exception being the extensions pump an septic, are being replaced with new, and for the house well, a submersible pump (we just had our barn well re-hooked up with a submersible pump and non-freezing system where the stand pipe drains after usage back into the well, so nothing sits in the pipeline.

We get dinged for farm rate on 8.5 acres

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm tickled silly to report that this month we got our electric down to 11 kwh/day! I think that's the best ever!

Latest posts