AWSOME book!!!!!!! PUTTING FOOD BY.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought this book hearing about it on this site. I gopt it off Ebay in a HArd back version for 11.00 Shipping and all. Realy a great book to add to your library!!
I quote:

" to put by' is an old, deep-country way of saying to 'save something you dont have to use now, against the time you will need it' Putting food by is the antidote for running scared"
------ Janet Greene

Enjoy! :thumbsup

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Authers are, Ruth Hertzberg, Beatrice Vaughn and Janet Greene.
The book is about canning foods and recipies on the subject. Good stuff. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Putting food by is the antidote for running scared"

Hmmm....I kinda agree and kinda don't. I mean in older times if you didn't put up your fruits like strawberrry jam you didn't get anything sweet in the winter. Or put stuff up just to be prepared for winter and use the harvest.

running scared......I ain't running scared...I always have my tail between my legs...HA HA HA HA HA

I guess it is a time for being scared in a way. Life is a mystery what will happen day to day anyway. But I don't want to be running scared thru it....heck, maybe I am right now..LOL-LOL

I don't know.

but putting food by for hard times is smart. smarter than those who don't!

So I guess that makes us Intellectual Chickens....:p

Browser8

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Okay... bought one on Ebay... $11.57 shipping and all.

Looking forward to it.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got that book and it's wonderful. I thought I pretty much knew what there was to know about storing the harvest but I've learned so much from that book.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I agree Farmerlor, its full of great information, Browser8 you will like it. A great addition to ones Library. Another set that my mother had that I received when she passed was the FOXFIRE books. They are also great how to books on the old ways. GRTEAT series there. ;)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, you talked me into it, I ordered a copy. Thanks for the recommendation.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have this book and have been using it for years. it has all manner of food preservation, including meats. It's excellent. I got one for free at a book give-away and gave it to a friend. It's WAY more thorough than the Ball "Blue Book".

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, the Foxfire series is awesome!!! Even if you never do any of the stuff it talks about just going through and seeing how those things were done is fascinating.