Baby Turkeys have Hatched

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awww! For now we will :love We can :drool when they are bigger! lol

They sure are cute... I'm just very happy I got my lil turkey protein factory running now. The clutches both hens laid in Jan must have gotten to cold before the hens decided they were going to sit in Feb. So it's took a little over a years and a half - but now i finally know my Tom and hens mate and hatch out babies all naturally, it's very cool!

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm with you on letting the mamas raise the babies...they can do it better in all ways. Great hatches!

I'm also a fan of ACV and used to use it regularly in the poultry water until I switched to fermented feed, when it became redundant. Still use it for the dogs water, though, when I can remember and the chickens drink out of there, so they do still get a shot of ACV.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those turkeys are very pretty. Love the coloring. Hens would probably do more to a predator after a chick but, they know you. IMO

I have a hen with 6 chicks who is fierce! Chicks are about a month, they go everywhere. Yesterday, two slipped into the garden area that I had surrounded a wooden fence with chicken wire. Hen & 4 chicks left, 2 on wrong side couldn't but kept hollering as mom clucked for them to come along. I went inside to shoo them thru open gate. Nope, they ran in other direction, so I cornered and picked one up to put over the 4' fence. That mom raced to the shrieking chick and tried to fly into my face!! 2 chicks, 2 attacks. 2nd time she almost got to me....my arm stopped her. This is not a big hen...she sure thought she was 10' tall and a NINJA !!!:cool: Gotta love them :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another baby turkey picture. My daughter came over today. While sitting on the porch I heard the weep weep weep of a baby turkey. Didn't think anything about it but it continued for about 15 minutes. Figured I best go see what's going on, my daughter came with me. After search out the weep weep weep we found this baby turkey inside the feeder and couldn't get out - poor little thing... my daughter had to hold it of course.
IMG_20170730_194246.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saw your picture of the tom on your other thread -- handsome!!
the hens look as lovely.

So, will you butcher them a couple at a time when matured? That's a lot of turkey when they both hatch most of the eggs. And a lot of freezer space -- if you leave them whole. Personally, I'd split some for sake of ease of use & freezer space.

This year I'll butcher chickens. May do a few turkeys next yr. Just so big to handle....smaller than those hogs I cut up !:cool: