sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
x2 Sounds like an interesting plant lol

Your poultry set up looks great!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They sound like better moms that most of my chickens! The number of times I've had to a shoo an oblivious hen off the poor chick she's standing on… :rolleyes:

Have you got any loose corrugated metal sheets lying around by any chance? If so and you can fit it in the run, put a section down on the ground where it won't be in the way (for you) and leave it for a few days, or a week or so. It will become a cricket hiding place… You know where I'm going ;) Call the turkeys over and lift the sheet and enjoy. I used to do this for my chickens. Caught literally 100's of crickets this way and seeing those birds and crickets scramble when I flipped the sheet was great fun!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my favorite pics of all times on BYC was of a totally naked, molting Silkie caught in mid-air defending her chicks. I believe the caption was Kung-Fu Henny Penny.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think @BarredBuff had issues with turkeys with lower protein feed. I've always just gotten the higher protein, I think it's made for turkeys and game birds. Our feed store and Tractor Supply both sell it. I have less of an idea on turkeys than my husband does (I know far more about goats!), but that's what we've always used. You might not have issues with 21% either. If they get to eat bugs there's more protein right there!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I checked at the farm store this weekend. They have 22% game bird. I just decided to continue with 21%. They seem to do well with 21 meat bird. I need to roll out a hay round in both the chicken and turkey yards soon - when I do I'll be cricket city :)

I also need to sprinkle dried habenero flakes over both the chicken and turkey feed. I found it does wonders for their health and they seem to love eating it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saw your picture of the tom on your other thread -- handsome!!
the hens look as lovely.

So, will you butcher them a couple at a time when matured? That's a lot of turkey when they both hatch most of the eggs. And a lot of freezer space -- if you leave them whole. Personally, I'd split some for sake of ease of use & freezer space.

This year I'll butcher chickens. May do a few turkeys next yr. Just so big to handle....smaller than those hogs I cut up !:cool:

I like it when I can raise my own food. I know how it lived, how it was treated, what environment it lived in and what it eat. Plus it's just very satisfying to say - Hey I raised this tasty meat :)

I'll keep my Tom and the two Hens through the winter now that I know they are productive and everything is working as it should. I'll process the rest to eat.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the cinderblock building, what a nice poultry house! What is cow itch, never heard of it before.

Sorry must have missed your question. Cow Itch is a huge broad leaf weed that can grow very tall, 12 foot or more. The name "cow itch" is local here in southern IL because if a cow gets up on it they will itch something awful. Brushing up against the leaves with my bare skin also causes me to develop a minor rash that itches like crazy for about 24 hours but then it goes away.

It seems like the perfect shade plant for my turkeys though. The bottom leaves are high enough off the ground for them to walk under and they seem to already know not to eat any part of the plant. So it maintains it's foliage from early spring to the first hard frost and provides them with cover and shade. They poop under it and the cow itch just keeps growing taller and busher.

I guess I may have found a good use for cow itch after all at least for me I did.