Baby Turkeys have Hatched

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too funny! What do you use for fencing for your turkeys? Do they have a covered area or just high fencing?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too funny! What do you use for fencing for your turkeys? Do they have a covered area or just high fencing?

I have 6' high 2" x 4" welded wire fencing and I think a 2" square poultry netting over the top. Part of this yard is on the north side of a cinder block building the other part of their yard is on the west side. On the north side they can go under a 4' x 8' coop I built for them. On the west side they can walk up a ramp to the 4' x 8' coop or they can go under a tarp I have thrown over part of the top of their yard to keep their food dry during rains. Or also on the west side they can go under a stand of cow itch. Cow itch is like tall broad leaf weeds that will make a cow itch (and me) when you brush up against it. They prefer laying under the cow itch during the day as it provides the with excellent natural shade.

I also have log roosts about 3' off the grown that I've spanned two corners of the yard with. They like to get up on them at night.

Think of a big backwards " L " that's the way their yard is shaped. I know I used 100' of fencing for the perimeter of their yard so it's plenty big enough for lots of turkeys :)

I'll snap a picture or two tomorrow for you - because sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words. <--- expecially when it comes to me trying to explain something like this...

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a very hard time seeing them right now as anything other than cuties. Love the Orp chick in there with them :love

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Here are some pictures. When we moved here the roof had fallen in on the cider block building you see. My sons and I tore it all off and framed up a new roof using white pine we cut on my sawmill. We also reused what we could... like old roofing tin. I can't seem to find the time to paint the building and roof. It's kind of low on the priority list actually...

This is the layer yard looking west. Inside the layer yard on the north side, you'll a little shelter and fenced in area - I call the nursery yard. That's where I put a momma hen and her chicks she hatched until the chicks get big enough to let go into the layer yard.
IMG_20170723_121305031.jpg

Here's the north side of the layer yard still looking west.
IMG_20170723_121325473.jpg

Here's the turkey yard looking south. The turkey yard actually has two yards. I raised like 50 CCX in the center yard last year and wanted to keep the isolated from the layers and turkeys. But I cut a hole in the fence to allow turkeys to have more space.
IMG_20170723_121339226.jpg

Here is the west side of the turkey yard looking south east. Lots of shade over here with the cow itch I let grow up on this side.
IMG_20170723_121415741.jpg

Then here are my two turkey hens working hard to hatch out more babies :)
IMG_20170723_121520988.jpg

This completes our tour of the outside of the lil Crealbilly protein factory -:lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the cinderblock building, what a nice poultry house! What is cow itch, never heard of it before.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
x2 Sounds like an interesting plant lol

Your poultry set up looks great!