Baby Turkeys have Hatched

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkey family - I'm trying so hard not to get attached to the babies because they are so delicious :)
IMG_20170730_110403264.jpg

What should I plan on or be on the lookout for raising the babies in with the adults?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww what percent protein feed do you use again? We use 24% for the babies. I think as high as 28% is ok. The babies need higher protein than the adults. Other than that.... Nothing I can think of.

Your turkeys are gorgeous.

I did have a tom that killed my chicks one year. But if your tom seems good with the babies you should be ok. I had to separate mine from the tom I had at the time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never had turkeys, living vicariously through your pictures!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another baby turkey picture. My daughter came over today. While sitting on the porch I heard the weep weep weep of a baby turkey. Didn't think anything about it but it continued for about 15 minutes. Figured I best go see what's going on, my daughter came with me. After search out the weep weep weep we found this baby turkey inside the feeder and couldn't get out - poor little thing... my daughter had to hold it of course.
IMG_20170730_194246.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww what percent protein feed do you use again? We use 24% for the babies. I think as high as 28% is ok. The babies need higher protein than the adults. Other than that.... Nothing I can think of.

Your turkeys are gorgeous.

I did have a tom that killed my chicks one year. But if your tom seems good with the babies you should be ok. I had to separate mine from the tom I had at the time.

Most I can get is 21% protein (meat bird) that's what I've fed them since I first brooded the adults, from babies. I can see about getting some kind of supplement to increase the protein of their 21 % meat bird

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think @BarredBuff had issues with turkeys with lower protein feed. I've always just gotten the higher protein, I think it's made for turkeys and game birds. Our feed store and Tractor Supply both sell it. I have less of an idea on turkeys than my husband does (I know far more about goats!), but that's what we've always used. You might not have issues with 21% either. If they get to eat bugs there's more protein right there!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I checked at the farm store this weekend. They have 22% game bird. I just decided to continue with 21%. They seem to do well with 21 meat bird. I need to roll out a hay round in both the chicken and turkey yards soon - when I do I'll be cricket city :)

I also need to sprinkle dried habenero flakes over both the chicken and turkey feed. I found it does wonders for their health and they seem to love eating it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found a baby turkey dead this afternoon, I'm now down to 5 babies. I have no idea what happened. When I found it it was cold but not stiff. I examined it seen no pecks or anything like that. Yesterday morning they we're all running around the yard. Rain started late morning and continued untill this morning. The only thing I can think of is one of adult turkeys might have stepped on it, but that's only a guess. I found it under the trap that I threw over the top of a section of the yard to rain and snow out of their feed. So they might have all been under there to stay out of the rain??? IDK.

I was watching a little turkey TV as I call it this evening. One of the babies came running down board that goes up to the high part of the coop. It ran down caught just a little bit of air and jumped on a hens back. The hen just walked away with the baby turkey on it's back - it was like hey, this is normal -:lol pretty funny the way that it happened though.

Anyways the buff orpengton chick the turkey hens hatched out has been completely adopted by the turkeys. I believe that little chick actually thinks it's a turkey. It's pretty funny to watch it interact with the baby turkeys and hens and follow their calls.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
One of the babies came running down board that goes up to the high part of the coop. It ran down caught just a little bit of air and jumped on a hens back. The hen just walked away with the baby turkey on it's back - it was like hey, this is normal -:lol pretty funny the way that it happened though.

Anyways the buff orpengton chick the turkey hens hatched out has been completely adopted by the turkeys. I believe that little chick actually thinks it's a turkey. It's pretty funny to watch it interact with the baby turkeys and hens and follow their calls.
:love