baking soda for clean hair?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For dry scalp, eczema, sceborrhetic dermatitis, etc, try borage oil. Take 1 capsule per day. Works if you rub it on externally too, but takes three times as much and doesn't work nearly as well.

Adding coconut oil to your diet can help there too.

I'm nearly out of shampoo - just got a bottle of vinegar (some of our food is still packed in boxes and I can't find it, so buying vinegar was an important thing!), and I know where the baking soda is! :)

musiclee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I haven't tried the baking soda yet, but I've been using egg for the last few weeks. I've been very pleased with it.

I've been experimenting with different things--whole egg, egg yolk, no vinegar, vinegar after rinse, and vinegar mixed in with egg. I can't tell whick is best yet.

I use apple vinegar that I made from peels and cores leftover after canning apples.

I'm going to try baking soda and see how that works for me.

mass220

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea.Is it ok to use baking soda to a straighten hair... ?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm working up to jumping on the no 'poo bandwagon, now that my hair has grown long enough that I can just put it up if it looks bad during the transition. Did anyone notice a "greasy" period before your scalp adapted to lack of shampoo? Was there anything that helped with this? Also, how often do you do baking soda and ACV -- daily, every few days, once a week? Thanks.

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baking soda and my scalp didn't agree after all. Either I didn't do it properly or not well enough, because after a day it would get itchy. So now I'm using Dr. Bronners followed with vinegar rinse and all is well. Maybe I didn't give it long enough.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I could see baking soda not working for everyone. It is very alkaline afterall. I know that tea tree oil is good for itchy scalp and could help if you ever decide to try baking soda again. Or, you could try using egg yolks (if you have extra eggs).

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, I tried the baking soda/acv rinse today. I mixed a teaspoon of BS with a bit of water and dumped it over my head--massaged it in and then rinsed it out. Then I poured some acv on my head, and massaged it in then rinsed. I did that at 8am this morning, and my hair feels fine.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
I'm working up to jumping on the no 'poo bandwagon, now that my hair has grown long enough that I can just put it up if it looks bad during the transition. Did anyone notice a "greasy" period before your scalp adapted to lack of shampoo? Was there anything that helped with this? Also, how often do you do baking soda and ACV -- daily, every few days, once a week? Thanks.
Yes, I did notice that my scalp was greasier at first, but I kept at it, and it eventually got better. Sometimes I will rinse with lemon juice instead of the vinegar, and that seems to help with the greasiness. I usually wash my hair a couple times a week in the winter (when my skin gets really dry), and about every other day in the summer, depending on how dirty I get from working in the garden.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried this, and could not do it. My hair tends to be fairly oily, and it didn't remove any of the oil at all - so I had dank, greasy clumps of hair in the back. Nasty. Not something I felt like I could keep trying to see if it improved.

Having problems with all of the natural shampoo alternatives - less greasy than the baking soda/acv combo, but still greasy underneath. Burt's Bees shampoo does that, and Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap is even worse (it does it all over).

The best shampoo I ever used was Tates, but it is so expensive I just can't do it. $20 a bottle is more than I can justify.