Baking With Butter Powder ????

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I opened one of my cans of butter powder that I purchased in 2010 from emergency essentials... I figured I need to start learning to use some of my storage. I made brownies with some of it.. only trouble is don't know how to use it in place of real butter... I had to guess and use a quarter cup of the butter powder to about a quarter cup of water, also added a little milk to.. Thinking I should of used more butter powder . Do any of ya'll bake with butter powder ???? I also have shortening powder and buttermilk powder I will be working with a little later..
thanks for your help

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use powdered buttermilk all the time. Not the same brand but what I have it is 4 tablespoons per cup of water. When you are baking just add it to your dry ingredients.

For the butter shelf reliance says to mix their powdered butter 1:1.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you !!!!
I placed another order through church with Walton Feed .. Decided to order more butter powder, and some of the other powders next march... after seeing how much was in can I figured I could use it up first... and learn how to use them... It took me a year to use the 30 oz can of baking powder.. fingers crossed it comes in this new order..
I order vegetables, seeds for sprouting, a couple books, and # 10 cans of different grains ( kamut, quinoa, flax ). cocoa, and a few other things.. If you can get in with a group of people who all order together you can save a lot on shipping !!!! and a little off their reg. prices..

Rarity

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Is it a buttermilk product, or actual butter? How do you dehydrate a fat without making a mess?

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made banana bread this morning and used some of the emergency essentials powdered butter in it.. just took out of oven. can't wait to try... as soon as I use up the butter powder from Emergency essentials want to order some butter powder from Shelf Reliance. So far have tried Shelf Reliances strawberries, greenbeans. pineapple, raspberries, brownie mix and the maccaroons. All are yummy..

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rarity said:
Is it a buttermilk product, or actual butter? How do you dehydrate a fat without making a mess?
Well in theory you can encapuslate [spelling] it with the fat on the inside and the water soluable parts on the outside [like those fish oil capusels]