Bananas - Naturally ripened vs. Chemically ripened - How to tell the difference

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually, they sometimes use a chemical to artificially ripen fruit that is a concern for human health. Note that this chemical is banned in some countries... I don't know if that includes the US or not.

From the web: "Ripening agents speed up the process of ripening offruits after they are picked prior to full ripening. These agents are particularly Unsaturated hydrocarbons; acetylene, ethylene, etc. However, a chemical known as Calcium Carbide (CaC2) is most commonly used for artificial ripening of fruits."

"Calcium carbide is a toxic and highly dangerous, corrosive chemical. Fruits that are ripened with this chemical can cause several harmful effects to the human health. Some of these effects are described below. Calcium carbide has the potential to cause cancer and contains traces of phosphorus hydride and arsenic."
https://m.onlymyhealth.com/everythi...e-before-you-eat-mango-this-season-1432110732

Artificial ripening can cause the fruit to be bland because it never really ripens, it is just changed to make it softer as if it has ripened, it is actually still an unripened fruit even though it looks and feels like it should.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
good reasons to stick to the fruit that I can grow, or buy from local farmers. I guess I can get used to never having tropical fruit...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I frustrates me that there is so much that can be done to our food that is not required to be disclosed.

For instance, it took a real fight to allow milk producers to advertise that their milk is rBGH free. The producers that want to inject their cow and have the increased milk production didn't want anyone to know that they were using hormones on their cows.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Really? I see milk labeled growth hormone free all the time. I never buy ripe bananas so I guess it's not an issue!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, now you see the label on dairy products now. You also see the disclamer that there is difference between rBGH and non-rBGH treated.

BUT at the time they started using rBGH and the public found out,back in the 80's, there was a HUGE outcry by the public that we wanted to know what milk was "hormone free" and what milk was from cows that were given the genetically-engineered hormone. The companies making the hormone and the dairy union at the time, both fought the FDA about allowing the label because, they say, there is no difference between the milk from hormone treated and non-hormone treated cows. They did not want milk labeled non-rBGH because that was going to cost them customers.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer that's crazy!

In S.A. bags of frozen chicken got injected with a saline solution to increase the weight of the meat in the bag. Someone blew the whistle on the practice and it didn't stop them... No, they simply put this stupid little note on the bags saying the meat is "marinaded" with this saline solution :rolleyes: The milk we bought there is so diluted, it barely tastes of anything and skim milk tastes of absolutely nothing.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have the "Marinated" meat also. I was going to buy some boneless, skinless chicken breasts the other day and noticed that they are up to 15% saline solution now...
Time to rais some more meat birds for the freezer. DH was disappointed last night when I didn't ahve any more of the home grown boneless/skinless chicken in the freezer for grilling and had to use a package of store bought.