Barb Wire - any words of wisdom?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Barb wire pulling fiestia of so much fun we could stand anymore is done for the day. My neighbor, son and favorite daughter in law helped. It was a great day to pull barb wire. Cool and overcast, with a slight breeze to make it comfortable in our coats, hats and gloves. But it was mucky mud that turned to sloppy soup the more we worked in it.

I learned a lot, most definitely start with the top wire and work your way down. The wires get tangled and stuck together very easily as your stretching them from off the ground.

It helps to have two tractors, farm truck and a gator in the pasture plus at least two of every kind of tool your going to use or else your walking to grab a tool.

We are a little over 2/3rd of the way done and we pulled right over one of the two gate openings. We'll will leave it that way for a while because it's so muddy we want to let the posts settle in a little bit before we cut and tie the wires.

We did 6 runs of barb wire top wire is 4' off the ground, for a spacing every 8" down to the ground. It looks better than I imagined it would and the gaucho barb wire should turn any medium to large animal, I want to put in there. I don't see any cow rubbing this fence the barbs are cut at 45 degree angles and are sharp. Cows will quickly learn to stay away from the fence I'm sure.

Upper right is my neighbors John Deere, we used as an anchor at about a 45 degree angle on the corner post so we could stretch two sides with a chain and come along without having to move the tractor each time. We used the my Allis Chalmers with a drawbar to roll out the wire corner post to corner post. The gator was in case we needed to get out of there quickly (safety) and my daughter in law took it up to the house a few times to use the bathroom. Plus we piled in it for trip to the house for lunch. Farm truck carried first aid kit, water, rolls of barb wire, t-post clips and tools.
IMG_20220319_102517434_HDR.jpg

Once we got in the groove, it went smooth and no one got hurt, not even one drop of blood was shed. Before we started we talked about how we were gonna work this wire. we all worked slow and cautiously. Using vice grips and pliers to grab the wire.

I have to admit, it was a fun filled day and all, but man, I'm simply partied out. I will sleep like a rock tonight no doubt. I don't know how many miles I walked but it was a lot and this is just a 5 acre pasture.

All in all I rate this project moderate, only because it's labor intensive and time consuming, but it's great exercise. Put safety first, go slow, use common sense, look out for your working partner at all times.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farm life will keep you healthy and in good physical shape. Work is good for the soul.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farm life will keep you healthy and in good physical shape. Work is good for the soul.
I agree... working around the farmette is great exercise and I kind of go out of my way to even get more exercise. I'm trying to rebuild my upper body strength.

New 5 acre pasture north side fence row. 6 runs of barb wire 8" spacing. Neighbor said if this fence doesn't turn a bull, he doesn't know what will. Although I have no plans for a raging hormone bull out here 🙄
IMG_20220320_131546254_HDR~2.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally finished stretching the last 660 foot side, just tractor and me. It would have been easier if the spring/creek weren't there, tractor could have walked the wire from corner to corner. But there's always two feet and a stick, to get er done. I think the hardest part is done. Just a little short hammer stretching, t-post clipping remaining posts, standing up a heavy duty panel across the creek and gate hanging left to do.

This is the second 16 foot gate opening and 660 foot south side. The 4 foot 8 inch story stick, marked every 8 inches was definitely one of my better ideas and well worth the time to make. It was very handy for wire spacing. I'm gonna let it sit for a few weeks before I cut and tie the wires off for the gates. I want to make sure all the posts are settled in first.
IMG_20220325_145217724_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This heavy duty panel thing my neighbor gave me fits nice in the runoff. A 7 foot t-post through each side of the 4 inch pipes and a couple ties of barb wire stretched to wood posts on each bank should work good plus the honey suckles will grow on it and help hold it in place over time. I don't think a calf could get through. Needs cleaning out some, where I chainsawed my way through.

IMG_20220326_123441211_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My neighbor showed me a t-post clip tip today. I will show you the visual. This is the coolest time saving tip I've been taught in a long time. Forget the fence pliers, use a Philips screw driver instead👍

Place the clip and screw driver as shown.
IMG_20220329_223837380.jpg

Push screw driver under the wire and pull it back over top the wire. Then pull out the screw driver. Your barb wire is now tightly attached to the t-post and just look at that pretty single twist that took only a few seconds to make. If your a twister and want two twists then do it again before removing the screw driver for two pretty twists.

I don't see any reason this couldn't be uses on woven wire, just use a stubby philips screw driver that will fit between the horizontal wires
IMG_20220329_223951586.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup, I use a short screwdriver and pliers for the other side of the clip.