Barefoothavens Journey - Everything Starts Somewhere.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
One day, I want to do a family tree. I constantly have people asking me if I'm part Native American, and I honestly don't know. But, my mom is from Canada and my dad says he had a family member that they didn't know much about, so it's possible. It would just add more color to the family. I have cousins that are half Japanese, nieces adopted from India, and my son-in-law is Puerto Rican. As far as I'm concerned, there's only 1 race-the human race.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We do know this, you are TRUE part "homesteader". Hauling water, living alone, no power AND pregnant, THAT'S true homesteader/survival, for sure.;):love

I LOVE your wood stove, by the way. Reminds me of my grandparents -- which is what they had. Similar style, too. They didn't have a glass door, LOL not an option waaaaaay back then.

The guy with that loader equipment was FANTASTIC operator. I would have held my breath just watching -- possible home destruction LOL.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One day, I want to do a family tree. I constantly have people asking me if I'm part Native American, and I honestly don't know. But, my mom is from Canada and my dad says he had a family member that they didn't know much about, so it's possible. It would just add more color to the family. I have cousins that are half Japanese, nieces adopted from India, and my son-in-law is Puerto Rican. As far as I'm concerned, there's only 1 race-the human race.
That's what's so neat about family trees. It's like a history novel/journal with so many different chapters... Your tree sounds very interesting.

Yes 1 race, the human race! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beautiful home place. I love it. The water wheel is very interesting. I like that it generates electricity for you. I know nothing about solar, wind or water wheels, but am in awe of those who do.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was the same before moving here. The old water wheel was already in place so went with that idea.
I don't know much but the basics. But I still am in awe at the fact we did it :)

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all....
I can't believe how busy the last month has been.
My father who lives up the road from us, went in to hospital last week for his right hip replacement operation. So we have been busy busy taking him down for surgery, looking after his place, and our own. Christmas is nearly here so we have been doing the mad rush with the Christmas shopping and still haven't finished. But we'll get there :)

Our house cow "Pepper" still has not calved so we haven't started milking yet, which isn't bad. We still have to finish some things around her milking shed etc.

It's soooooo humoured up here in the Far North of New Zealand. When it rains it seems hotter. The grass and gardens have gone crazy with this warm weather. I have so much lawn and topping of paddocks to do, and my dads lawns.

And our poor Hunter (our youngest at 3 years old - 4 in January) went down with a nasty stomach flu 2 days ago. He started vomiting just before bed and continued for a further 24 hours (including the other end non stop). I found myself cleaning toilets, laundry etc at 2:45 am in the morning. I've never cleaned at that time soooooooo much lol. He's starting to come right but WOW! I don't think I've slept for over 48 hours for longer than 5 minutes over the last 3 days.

I keep looking at all the things I need to get done before Christmas day. Christmas cookies and packages for our neighbours, rest of Christmas shopping, chores, dad's chores before he comes home, lawns, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I so need a holiday :)

How is everyone else doing with the Christmas season?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
wow, sounds exhausting! Maybe do fewer Christmas cookies?
I'm glad to hear your youngest is doing better now; it's so hard when they get that kind of sick as such a young age.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
At least you have longer days right now since it's almost summer there. It makes it easier to get outside stuff done.

When my DS was little, he got extremely sick from both ends. In just a short period of time, he went thru all his clean sheets and clean PJs. He was even younger than your son. It was not fun in the least. I feel for you.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yay! Hunter was well for Christmas. Turns out he had an ear infection ontop of a stomach flu. Poor little guy. But he is running around enjoying his Christmas prezzies & just loving the holiday spirit...... He loves to sing Xmas carols hehe.... It's so cute to watch.

We didn't get to do our Xmas cookies. I was too busy looking after my dear dad after his hip operation annnnd our house cow Pepper finally calved for the first time. She stayed with her calf for a few days before we started milking her. I've milked her all of 3 times so far (first time milker here) with a portable electric milking machine.
I'll be honest. I was excited & terrified at the same time. But I'm slowly getting there.
The setting up & cleaning is by far the easiest part for me. The hardest part would have to be putting the cups on, bending the tubes over to gain pressure & just getting use to it. But I'll get it :)
Her teats were very sensitive today & she wouldn't let me near them so I had to tie her leg off & ended up calling DH down as I wasn't having much luck. But we figured it out & milked her out.
I remember what it was like as a new mum breast feeding my new born & how sore I got.
She is giving just under 11 litres at the moment & a beautiful natured cow.
I always forget to take pictures as I get so involved with what I'm doing lol.
I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays & having a safe & cheerful time.

From my family & I
Leonie x

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wohooooooo! DH had some pics of our first attempt at milking :)

Tempting Pepper into her stanchion with some oats.
image.jpg

Transferring the milk before clean up.
image.jpg

Pepper munching after milking under the watchful eye of Hunter while I clean up.
image.jpg