Barefoothavens Journey - Everything Starts Somewhere.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never milked a cow, but I have milked a goat. And from what I understand, milking a goat is easier. You don't have to strip them down like you do a cow. I ever get the land I want, I'll get some more Nigerians, and milk them. Or, I may cross them w/Nubians.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ALWAYS WANTED MY OWN MILK COW! Grandad used to let me go when he milked the one they "borrowed"....love, love, love butter. Fresh is just unreal. With a cow, you can get a lot from just the normal separation. Since a goat is "naturally" homogenized, the rise of cream is slow and less than what is there in the milk. Yes, butter is expensive here, also. I am sure you are enjoying the fresh milk.

You are fortunate to have the farmer close. You will be able to get her re-bred "fairly" easily.

In only 2 weeks I will be back to milking again. :p 3 freshen in about a week, 2 more in Feb, 1 in early Jun. Hopefully I have found an outlet for some sales with a wildlife rehab location. That would be nice. Even with cheese, yogurt, feeding other animals.....I have a LOT of milk. I am alone on my little farm for the uses. Gotta get that separator ordered!
Yeah -- that feed sure keeps them coming in !! :confused::ya

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always wanted a milk cow too - but gonna stick with my goats. I'll be swimming in milk soon enough.