BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
85 chicks!!!!! :th How many of those will be yours? Are you going to sell eggs, BB?

50 hens are mine and a few roosters. I'll save a few from my current flock too. Planning on selling eggs again.

What do you all think is a fair price for farm eggs? Planning on making some signs.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Market is depressed here. I sell for $2.50, but have seen signs on the main road past my road for $2.00. I feel that $2.50 is giving them away. If I was buying bedding, I wouldn't even break even, not even counting my housing costs.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My eggs occasionally outpace my customers. I take some to work, take some to church, sell some at roadside. Roadside is difficult b/c of weather issues, and I'm on a little dead end road. I have a sign at the front end of our road, but folks whizzing by won't bother to drive down. Even though my eggs are in a cooler, I can't or won't put them out when it's stormy, below freezing or super hot. Lately, I sell every egg the girls produce, and could sell more. I would love to hook up with someone at Farmer's market to move my product, without having to dedicate my time to do so.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beagles are so cute and sweet! One of my DGD raised them for rabbit hunting. Always loved when he had some young ones to play with when we visited.

Here I see a lot of the long legged deer type.

On the way home a couple days ago, there were large herds of deer grazing some fields near the woods...like 15 or so in a herd, 2 different places. We have a lot of nice deer with all the crops grown. Turkeys in huge groups, also.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She is adorable! I love beagles but I won't keep a hunting dog (well one of my dogs is bred for boar hunting but her instincts are weak lol) , I need a dog that I can trust off leash with neighbors nearby. I'll bet you'll have a lot of fun with her!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I hope your new tiller is better! Can you temporarily put cardboard zip tied around the bottom of the fence for the chicks until they grow a bit bigger? Church sounds like it was fun today.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I hope your new tiller is better! Can you temporarily put cardboard zip tied around the bottom of the fence for the chicks until they grow a bit bigger? Church sounds like it was fun today.
I could, but the weather is going cooler and wet starting on Tuesday. I wouldn't let them out then anyway and I expect in a week they will be big enough.