BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just finished my second day of work. I have missed being here. I work at a youth camp a few hours away from home, and we are busy getting ready for the summer. I've spent the last few days laying tile, moving and re-installing AC units, and we trimmed some trees earlier. It's been good to be doing some manual labor as opposed to the mental labor at school. :th It wears me out!

So, tomorrow we start the main landscaping jobs and we will begin to prune, and plant. I'll be in my element! We also welcomed some of my friends in tonight for those that'll be joining our staff team this summer. It was good to see them again.

Hopefully, my first coke order will come in tomorrow and we can get the machines stocked. My job once campers arrive is to maintain the camp store, and sell merchandise. So, the prep for that starts tomorrow as well. Coke machines are awful by the way. When 400 people use them a week with hot, and humid days--they malfunction all the time. I run myself ragged fixing them last year.

I love being here, but I do miss home. I talked to Mom earlier, and we have a black snake residing in the chicken house now. I think it kind of scared her. I'm actually relieved that we still have black snakes around. I haven't seen one in years.

My sister also stole the show for the athletic awards tonight. She got all of the athletic genes, and I think I got the personality :lol::lol:. Well, the good looks for sure...:gig

I just finished my reading for the night, and I guess I'll hit the hay. I'm tired, and I think I'm working on a headache. If you're a praying person, I'd appreciate your prayers tonight--the Lord knows all about it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day tomorrow! :frow

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a GREAT summer job! Hey, maybe you could find a spot to plant a few veggie plants -- teach the kids all about horticulture, benefits of fresh, share the produce and pretend it's just for them. Do enjoy the summer.

You can always live your farm life here until the real thing can happen again for you. We are, after all, a group of enablers.
If you were near me I'd let you plow, plant, milk, clean, cook and enjoy it all...like every grandma!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sounds like a GREAT summer job! Hey, maybe you could find a spot to plant a few veggie plants -- teach the kids all about horticulture, benefits of fresh, share the produce and pretend it's just for them. Do enjoy the summer.

You can always live your farm life here until the real thing can happen again for you. We are, after all, a group of enablers.
If you were near me I'd let you plow, plant, milk, clean, cook and enjoy it all...like every grandma!
I do get to teach the great outdoors class when the students arrive. SO, I do get some much needed nature time. I still get to do some of my cooking. For a 21 year old guy, I cook like an elderly house wife. :old AND it is wonderful!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Work has been busy, but I have gotten a lot done. We cleared the dead Wisteria vines, and all the invasive species from the beds. All kinds of old vines, and weeds. We cleared them out, and packed out four loads of brush to the burn pile. This was around the dining hall. Then we finished mulching some of the beds.

Today, I cleaned air conditioning units. That took all day. The best part was when I got to climb up on top of the dinning hall and clean that one out. It was huge!! I got the dirt rinsed out of them. Then we finished the day with some Mexican food :celebrate

Tomorrow, we have safety training for all of the equipment we use. They come in from the state department, and teach us how not to die on a tractor. Which is valuable, but this will be my 7th time in the training! I'll live though, and then I'll make the drive home.

Which will be good. Last night, at Wednesday Night Service, our pastor at the home church resigned unexpectedly. He had only been pastoring for 2 years. We're not sure what is going with him, or with the congregation. We need your prayers. He is not much older than me, and I consider him a great role model (especially, since I fail so much it seems). I've taken this rough to be honest. However, it'll work out. The Lord will provide us another pastor.

One thing I have learned about myself over the last few years is that I react to troubling times by writing. I journal, and sometimes my feelings and thoughts spill over to a song, poem, or short story. Its weird, but it helps me for sure.

Hope everyone has a great night!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Journaling can be a way to deal with your thought and feelings. For whatever reason, it sure does help. You will get another Pastor. He will provide! Hang in there and have fun at camp - all this will work itself out.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
BarredBuff, everything happens for a reason :hugs Even the things we don't understand now.

Journaling is a wonderful way to get feelings out. I personally like to "talk" to friends that way in private.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your jobs sound perfect for someone young and energetic. Sorry to hear about your pastor. Ours resigned suddenly a couple of months ago without warning. The pastor that was voted in has went to our church since he was 7 years old and he told the pastor then he would be pastor someday! We are all so proud of our young Pastor Konner (20 years old). A true man of God. I tell him all the time I see him as a young David.