BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
The weather has no been cooperative this year, that is for sure.
Tell me about it. It's gonna rain for four days up here, and the temp is hovering around 45-50 degrees. :(

Yes, I'm back from my vacation. I had a good time. It feels good to be home.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The Buff is back!! :woot :woot

WITH pictures!!

YAHOOOO!!!

Firstly the ducks came early! Yesterday as a matter of fact so I have pictures of them. She hatched 16 out of 17 eggs!!! :woot Im exclamatory over it!!
45431_byc9.jpg

45431_byc8.jpg

Secondly I have pictures of our incubator at the school. They are due today as well. Then I have a month old picture of the Australorp chicks.
45431_byc7.jpg

45431_byc1.jpg

Thirdly I have chicken processing pictures! Be warned they are a little graphic.
45431_byc2.jpg

45431_byc3.jpg

45431_byc5.jpg

45431_byc6.jpg

They were 6 that we butchered and they are gone. We did it two and a half weeks ago. I hope maybe we can order more and ship them in late August and butcher them early October. I fed them 24 percent feed and they got huge fast and killed em at 4 weeks they were BIG!!!

Im glad to be back on SS I have missed it!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow

Those aren't gory pictures at all! All of them are great! Did you skin them or pluck them? A few of us are prepping to do our own creepy meat birds within the next few weeks

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
One of the adult Buffs was also but by a copperhead 2 weeks ago. She is recovering though. I put antibiotic on it and she is better.....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
glenolam said:
:frow

Those aren't gory pictures at all! All of them are great! Did you skin them or pluck them? A few of us are prepping to do our own creepy meat birds within the next few weeks
I did both. I plucked the main feathers out then skinned them. I was afraid of damaging the meat by skinning with being able to see it so I plucked them first.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just got a call from the teacher doing the incubator we have 3 Buffs, and 2 BSLs. With 8 or 9 pipping!

:D :D :D

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey glad to see you back!!!! Looks like spring babies are hopping over at your place! Great job on the chickens. We skinned ours - flipped them over on their backs and started at the breast bone / neck where we had offed the head. Cut it all the way down towards the vent and peel it like a jacket. Easy peasy!

The ducks are VERY cute!

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOOWEEE!!! Babies! :weee Congratulations! :celebrate

edited to say: Almost forgot to say, welcome back!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You only had to raise those chickens to four weeks old and then processed?

Welcome back! Was your internet blown away or something?