Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
BarredBuff said:
SSDreamin said:
:frow

:ya Glad ya made it home safe BB! I missed ya too :hugs

:weee on coming home to poultry babies!
Thanks Cindis for the well wishes :p

I missed the whole place, I was lurking I just couldn't remember my password, and my email locked me out in FL so I couldn't reset it :lol:
I do that a lot! My MIL told me to write down all my passwords/user names on an index card. Well, that seemed not very safe, so I thought it would be better to keep them stored in the old noggin. Hmmmm... only problem is, my noggin leaks like a sieve, and I can't get back on because I have no clue what 'clever' user name or password I used :lol: Hate when that happens!
Cindy! One of my favorite senior sayings "I don't need to write that down". :lol:

BB! Glad you are home safe and sound and to a new feathered family!!!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
WOW! Has it really been six months since I updated my journal? Hmmm, don't seem like it was that long. :hu

Anyway my last few months have been crazy, but it seems to be lightning up. I took up Deer Hunting this year, just gun season. I went last Saturday (evening and morning), and this morning. I won't go on Sunday because of Church, and I have not seen anything or nothing. But they were at my spot, there were tracks (fresh) and I have seen them there before. But alas, no luck so no venison this year. :( Atleast that I have killed, maybe we can get some another route. Gun season ends here on Monday and we have things to do today so I guess my deer season is over. :/

The chickens haven't been laying good for about a month, I get 2, and 3 eggs a day sometimes none. So I upped their feed, and we installed a light down at the coop to do the light trick. Hopefully production will pick up, everyone is coming out of moult so it should. They finallly opened a decent feed store in town so we don't have to go an hour away for decent feed anymore :woot That is so handy! My meat chickens are growing, not a good rate though. This is my last batch of Cornish Xs, this batch has been a pain it seems. Some died for unknown reasons, they stay hungry (they eat A LOT) and are always under my feet. I think I want to try capons next year.

My blueberry bushes came in this week, so I need to set them out later. The plant my garlic. I guess me and the mother will get on that after we eat some lunch.

I got my check from the magazine this week, and I am sending another article to a different magazine next week sometime after I get my pictures done.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH & DS#2 are at deer camp this week. I miss them terribly, but sure love the 'alone' time - I can usually knock a bunch of stuff off my to-do list when I'm not getting interrupted all the time ;) They have two hanging, so far. DH got an (eight) point - actually a seven, one tine is broken off. DS got a nice big doe. He is an amazing shot - four deer so far in his 'career', three of which were heart shots! DH is hoping to come across the monster that has left scrapes all over our property. Always thankful for a freezer full of venison!

We found a nice feed store in the 'big' town a half hour from here. They have nice stuff, reasonable prices, and the people there are super nice too.

:ya on getting the check for your article! Hope your next one gets accepted too :fl Getting published will help you further yourself in the future too, if you decide to pursue that line of work. ;)

ETA: My 13 girls are just now UP to 4 eggs/day! Got the light out there, molt is done. My buffs have just stopped completely! May be canning a lot of chicken soon :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I hate that so bad, how long is your light been out there?

My light is on, and all seems to be well with it. I also got the new blueberries set out, Friday I am transplanting two bushes and dividing two others. Can you say BLUEBERRIES?

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I hate that so bad, how long is your light been out there?

My light is on, and all seems to be well with it. I also got the new blueberries set out, Friday I am transplanting two bushes and dividing two others. Can you say BLUEBERRIES?
We've had it out there for just over two weeks now :( My guess is things would be better by now, if not for the trauma...

Bllluuueberrrries :drool I just have six bushes, the way my guys eat 'em, I need about 20! :lol:

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BB,

If ya don't get a deer in KY, just come on out and visit us in Arkansas...the deer need serious thinning on the roads here! :hu :lol:

We usually see close to 2 dozen on the way home from my moms place...a 20 minute trip. :th

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I wish! Most people here just want that rack, I just want some meat! I may be able to round up some meat somehow though.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hear ya on the racks, little brother! It's so sad! :smack

We grew up on venison and I miss having it as a staple part of our diet. There's nothing like anything venison, as far as I'm concerned! :drool

Blueberries + Bambi's (no offense, PLEASE) = :love