BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That is an option. I can't stand trophy hunters at all!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I can't stand the people who go where there's a pen w/deer in it and kill one so they can get their deer. :somad

Around here, if you hit a deer, you can call the police and get a tag w/out being on a list.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i know here- if you call the sheriff dept you can be put on the "hit list" for deer that have been hit by car. they give you a tag for it, and you take it home.

the last week or so we have seen 4 deer on the side of the road with their heads cut off. so someone stops to take their head, but not the meat.:somad i hate trophy hunters.
They should at least find someone willing to use the meat. There are a couple that I know of from a friend. They want their trophy but then they donate the meat to a raptor rehab lady locally. She hates hunting but said she accepts the meat because they are going to hunt no matter what. It just depends if her hawks get the meat or it sits in the woods and gets eaten by scavengers. Its not ideal but its better than leaving the body to waste.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we brought a couple home for the dogs. we take them around to the backside of the property and leave them. only the hounds eat them. it has been 40 degrees or less here so they dont spoil. they wont eat dog food now. the sheriff gives us any we want for dog food.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay weird question, the geese are mating. Why are they doing this now? Is it my light, maybe?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'd say it's because they can. I've seen my chickens mating as well.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'd say it's because they can. I've seen my chickens mating as well.
Hmm. Well I was thinking maybe the light through off their breeding cycles and the spring like weather was making them want to nest since Geese nest in the spring and mate then as well. But that is just me...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've seen my geese mating too. Maybe they're just practicing! :) My goose started laying in February last year...

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, I don' t have any artificial light for my chickens, so don't know about it being the light.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a broody bantam, this time of year it's just too weird. I haven't used any lights yet and she gets to free range the whole yard. How do I get her to stop? She is a EE that lays cute little blue eggs and I don't want her to loose weight this winter.