Bartering, Do You Do IT....?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I'm a big believer of bartering.Perhaps some would like to share what goods/services yu do for barter.I'm in a little bit of a position now where i'm producing extra asparagus, garlic, blueberrie, honey and eggs ...I keep and use more than enough,but usaually have a good amount of extra.I recently started bartering eggs, for fresh local fish, i'm happy and so are they.I barter several hrs work a week, for chicken feed, thats enough to feed my flock of 50 laying hens.To get a double benifit from my hens i favor black sex links , because they are large hens,and sex links provide excellent egg production to feed ratio.When they get to be 3yrs old i rotate them out.These bigger, older black hens are in big demand where i live, as soup/stewing chickens and fetch up to 10 bucks a bird.I have some folks i barter with for different things for my older hens,but sell most for money. As the US dollar falls, and commands less international favor, of older days, what ,if any bartering goods are you producing..? It seems the dollar is not going to be worth much, sooner than we know.I try to increase my bartering production constantly, it almost always involves food, fresh and local...I can trade eggs, honey, garlic and asparagus for things i don't produce and need.As the world turns, we sure do still need cash, my electric company refused fresh eggs in payment...lol Would love to know what others are doing out there, if anything concerning bartering and building a local alternative network, with like minded folks...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I barter eggs for layer feed, and have been bartering squash for fresh onions. My onions didn't do well, but my squash...every. plant. LIVED! :ep :lol: So, it helps out ;) I barter lots of things whenever I can find someone interested in trading for my surplus, I trade it out. I LOVE bartering!!!

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Of course I do it, everyone does it. I love to do it. - Mel Brooks

I barter as much as I can. This week I bartered eggs for cute fabric that I made kitchen valances. I barter soap and fresh cheese too. It is the wave of the future.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most definately! I don't do it nearly as much as some people, but I do love a good trade. A friend of mine makes jellies, jams and candy and I trade her for soap (well, that's I guess less of a trade than a "hey I need some more of your stuff" then later giving some more of my stuff as she runs out, lol). But I do some other small trades with soaps :)

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Bartering has always been around, all over the world, all through time. It's growing again as inflation is rearing its ugly head, and people want closer to home local food and goods.I'm seeing a big increase locally of people networking in bartering/trade for services..I'm only a backyard hen keeper,but i can barter every eggs the girls produce..! I never have enough , even when the local food chain is giving away eggs 10doz.for ten bucks..!Now thats cheap...!But folks want to know where those eggs are coming from, thats one reason they love local to buy or barter...I agree , i love batering and it sure is getting more popular, and will continue to..

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I've bartered a lot. In fact, I lived two years exchanging room and board for my cooking and cleaning skills.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've traded homemade bread or dozen duck eggs for about 2 quarts of goats milk.. I give the neighbors across the street duck eggs and one day she sent me two coupons for 25.00 off at Catherines... this week I took them a dozen duck eggs and some fresh tomatoes from our garden and she gave me a plastic bag full of peaches from their peach tree.
Last year they had figs & peaches .

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I barter my drawing skills for anything that people are willing to give me for it... I got a set of used kitchen cabinets once :) I love being able to use my skill to get me something else in exchange, and 'things' are so much more fun than just getting paid for it.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbor works @ a paper mill. I barter eggs for toilet paper and paper towels. Things I do not like to spend $$ on!

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't, but my DH does. He's a retired electrician and recently installed two electical boxes in exchange for some needed repairs on his 4WD truck :thumbsup