Bartering, Do You Do IT....?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I trade eggs and honey for various goods:
One of my contacts supplies me with shrimp mainly, but other seafood as well
One of them supplies me with tuna, venison, wild duck and prairie hens
I have an old man that trades with produce from a huge garden he tends.
My brother supplies me with firewood.
My sister supplies me with groceries and cleaning supplies from her coupon shopping.
Mom supplies me with cheese, dried milk and cereals.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I barter storage shed space for my cattle. The first year I got 2 calves, both of which have gone to the butcher. Then I got a cow/calf which had turned out to two heifers, one steer and should have been 3 calves. The cow died so then I had 2 first calf heifers, one steer and one calf (the other died). This year, I got a cow/calf pair for the use of that shed. I think that is a good deal. I don't use that shed and the security of having meat in the yard is very re-assuring particularly in the light of the economic news we've been getting from Washington DC.

Sometimes I barter labor for labor. It is a good thing and helping a neighbor when he needs it really cements a good relationship.

//BT//
Trim sends

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We've been trading massage therapy for haircuts for many years now.

We got a lot of electrical work done by two different electricians, got the barn wired and a lot of outlets replaced in the house and new lights put in. Still need a bit more if anyone is in our area!

We also trade massage therapy for the use of pick up trucks with various friends who are thrilled to let us borrow their truck. Much cheaper than owning one.

We trade massage for house/critter sitting.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not much of a barter. But I still consider it that.

Traded 4 albino cory catfish

For

A Red Cap Oranda goldfish.
(Which are hard to get good ones where I live for some odd reason. They didnt used to be so hard to find here.)

I have to much compatition for food in my bottom dwellers. So got rid of the catfish so my plecos can have more room. And I got a fancy goldfish that the kids can name. Yes our other 3 goldfish have names. LOL.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Barters of the week. Just traded some winter raking work this coming season for a very nice old woodstove. :) My wife wonders how many woodstove we need. She has't figured out I can barter a couple off. I'm up to 5 of them. 2 for the house , 1 for the garage and 2 for trade. Just waiting for the person to barter a propane refrig for one of my woodstoves. WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!

Bartered used ammo brass for some heavy lifting help, tile work and reloaded ammo.

"I barter there for I am" Don

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We get eggs for DH's artisan bread. I also work at the community greenhouse in exchange for seedlings and occasionally bigger plants.

When we lived in California, we had more land and we used to raise a pig in exchange for a year's worth of haircuts for the whole family (5 people at the time)

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The only thing I have been able to barter is eggs for my MIL's Potato Yeast Bread.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
traded a couple dozen home made cookies ( chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies) for 1/2 gallon goat milk... ducks aren't laying right now and chickens just started so she said she could use cookies since she didn't have time to bake... so I made a batch each of the cookies..

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In the past two weeks, I've swapped two dozen eggs for 3 zuke's, 2 butternut's, 6 green peppers and 3 patty pan's. Also traded 2 dozen more eggs to the same neighbor for a round bale of hay, delivered! It's a pretty green bale too, so I definitely got the better deal!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I traded two of my from scratch pies (one peach and one blueberry) for an entire yardsale table full of baby girl items! clothes, bedding, and towels! all the way up to size 3T! Filled two garbage bags!