Basic homestead (but non-gardening) tools

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like URL bbcode was wrapped around the links. Edit your post and you'll see it looks like this:

Code:
[url=]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A92xRw3Sf8[/url]
For URLs all you have to do is type the URL into the post and our system will automatically parse it and change it into a link. No code changes, additions needed, for example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A92xRw3Sf8

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Looks like URL bbcode was wrapped around the links.
Yeah, thanks for the input, Nifty. The edit worked. The mistake came in when I tried using the "Word-Link" function from the menu above the message-writing window. That just complicated things.

For other people trying to use this thread, the links on post #1 should all work now. So back to the subject! :gig

So please, I'd like to have a thread here that allows for discussion and for people to add helpful stuff about learning basic skills to accomplish things, using tools that are useful (often multi-functional) on the home place. :caf

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's another kind of tool that is pretty basic. How can you homestead without one or a couple of these?

I often use one like "E" in the photo line-up on the linked page. Has a chisel-like squared, weighty end. When you jam it down, it goes nicely into turf - even more easily into subsoil. It can also be very handy for prying rocks and such, as (unlike a shovel handle) the steel shank will not break under stress. The other designs shown are useful and have specific applications - some being tampers.

http://www.tradeindia.com/fp759356/LONG-DIGGING-BARS.html

I put them here on the "non-garden tool" thread because I find I don't use digging or prying bars much for gardening. More for working with the ground (and rocks) toward other ends. A tamper might be the exception, because in gardening it can be very useful for setting-in a tree or shrub.

By the way, I'm not promoting the source (Trade India) as such. Lots of companies manufacture these bars and tampers.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, if we have our own tool man, where's Al?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Rock bars! they are fun! We have several like C floating around the farm here of varying weights and sizes. They can do a LOT of stuff!! That would be a must have in my book.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great thread.

It is my believe that every household needs at least the 3 basic power saws (Circular, Jig and Reciprocal), both a corded and cordless drill, an automotive battery charger, a 10-25 gallon air compressor, 2 portable shop lights and a wet-dry vac. With these and your conventional set of hand-tools, one can accomplish pretty much any renovation, construction or handle an emergency.

That's my basic 'start-off' list, though I'd probably add a few additional things like:

Miter/Radial Arm saw
Table-saw with a large level surface (ideally 5'x10')
2 - Floor-jacks and 1 Railroad jack
3500-5000 watt generator
4' T-Square, framing square and speed square

Worth mentioning also, in the matter of tools, the old adage of 'You get what you pay for.' is definitely true. Cheap power tools just don't cut. Pay the extra money now for the sturdier commercial product, learn to care for it properly and it'll save you tons of frustration in the future. If possible buy tools that are backed by a no-questions replacement guarantee like Craftsman or Kobalt (they're not top of the line, but if they break... there's no cost to replace it). I was given a Craftsman folding utility knife as a christmas present 3 or 4 years ago and have since had 2 replacements. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good post, BrandedX.
BrandedX said:
Worth mentioning also, in the matter of tools, the old adage of 'You get what you pay for.' is definitely true. Cheap power tools just don't cut. Pay the extra money now for the sturdier commercial product, learn to care for it properly and it'll save you tons of frustration in the future. If possible buy tools that are backed by a no-questions replacement guarantee like Craftsman or Kobalt (they're not top of the line, but if they break... there's no cost to replace it). I was given a Craftsman folding utility knife as a christmas present 3 or 4 years ago and have since had 2 replacements. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!
Yeah, I've talked about my own frustration with second-rate tools. I'm glad to hear that Sears has replaced your utility knife twice (no questions asked, I hope). I know one of the added frustrations for me, if I've bought a second-rate tool or device that gives out on me, is that I live a 50-minute drive from the large town where I can find building-supply or larger hardware stores. When a tool or device gives out during a project, it's not just a half-hour disruption while I go get a replacement! At best it's a three-hour deal, due to other errands that will need to be run.
:barnie

Still, having said this... like I've said before, when I started buying my first tools as a young guy, I relied on cheaper items to some extent... the exception being when I could find good quality at a second-hand or pawn shop. I gradually replaced a lot of things over time.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sears has an excellent warranty policy on all Craftsmen tools--if it breaks, they replace it. Hubs' Dad was a mechanic before he retired, and had a few things replaced over his 40-something year career :)