Basic homestead (but non-gardening) tools

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think Pittsburg hand tools are also lifetime replacement.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a pretty decent little Youtube vid about organizing a work space. The guy gives a bit of an audio-visual explanation as to how he is organizing his tools (particularly hand tools) in his workshop, and then goes over to his garden-type-equipment shed (for thinks like the garden tractor, garden cart, etc). He's got a good organizing sense (which comes across mainly through the video aspect, maybe more so than what he has to say):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMWsSZu0d_s

Of course, much more elaborate specialized shop tours and shop organization discussions are given in a whole slew of Youtube vids - mechanics' shops, fine-woodworkers' shops, electronic-enthusiasts' shops, etc. If you poke around once you're on the Youtube site, you can find these. But most SSers, rural, suburban, or urban, are likely to have pretty general shop situations.

polamset

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I think Pittsburg hand tools are also lifetime replacement.
I agree! The Pittsburg tools that I have been used so far, never had a problem with them. Pittsburgh tools from Harbor Frieght are low end tools for the most part, for cheap hand tools i think Stanley is a good choice.

justgardentools.co.uk

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have noticed that craftsman tools are not what they used to be and getting things replaced is harder. Sears was in financial trouble and was purchased by Kmart which was having financial trouble........ I have started buying Kobalt as I think Lowes will be around longer... Just my $.02

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
elwood said:
I have noticed that craftsman tools are not what they used to be and getting things replaced is harder. Sears was in financial trouble and was purchased by Kmart which was having financial trouble........ I have started buying Kobalt as I think Lowes will be around longer... Just my $.02
Are we talking non-power "hand tools"... like planes, chisels, hammers, tri-squares? Or hand-held power tools like drills, circular saws, jig saws? (Craftsman has made/sold both. But I associate Stanley, for instance, strictly with non-powered tools.)

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Power tools expecially but all of their tools have decreased quality imo.