Basic Homesteading Skills You Should Learn

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I applied styptic powder to myself once. All creatures here get cornstarch now. If the wound doesn't need stitches or vet/doctor, it stops the bleeding quite well. Also doesn't make you scream like someone poured hot acid into a knife wound.
@Hinotori is not exaggerating. I inhaled some once by accident when trimming dog nails. omg.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Is that cheating? 🤔😁

And @tortoise has a vet DH. Y'all have to share knowledge⬆️😋
I have to say, if your SO has medical (or other specific) knowledge, ask them where to look and learn basic skills. What if in a SHTF situation you are separated? or alone? or your SO is severely ill/injured? Having someone knowledgeable can make us complacent!

I think the most important medical stuff to learn is when to NOT. When to NOT suture a wound. When to NOT superglue a wound, when to NOT wrap a leg / foot. etc. When to NOT give an animal a medication. First aid can kill.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Problem solving skills. The act or process of finding and implementing solutions to problems.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
This reminds me of a few sentences I read about one week ago.

We have to realize the differences between questions and problems. When we take difficulties as questions, we seek answers; however, many don't have answers, or they should not be taken as questions. Instead, we often encounter problems, which we can do something via figuring out solutions.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This reminds me of a few sentences I read about one week ago.

We have to realize the differences between questions and problems. When we take difficulties as questions, we seek answers; however, many don't have answers, or they should not be taken as questions. Instead, we often encounter problems, which we can do something via figuring out solutions.

being rather task oriented i'm often learning via answering questions and many times that is also related to problem solving.

being persistent and chipping away at my list of projects and tasks keeps me quite busy some days - even if i don't seem to make a lot of progress sometimes it means i'm doing a lot of prep work and studying background before doing the final steps in a task to finish it up.

when it comes down to health and body type things learning basic first aid is time well spent, but also paying attention to your own body and how it works (or doesn't). we are a universe unto ourselves too and learning about microbiology is also interesting to me so i can get lost easily in learning about the various creatures we share this world with and which are also a part of our own more personal world.