Basic Homesteading Skills You Should Learn

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I applied styptic powder to myself once. All creatures here get cornstarch now. If the wound doesn't need stitches or vet/doctor, it stops the bleeding quite well. Also doesn't make you scream like someone poured hot acid into a knife wound.
Did that a few weeks ago. A cut on my hand would not stop bleeding. It didn’t even work lol. Glued it shut and had to reapply the glue several times. But it’s now healed just fine!

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to say, if your SO has medical (or other specific) knowledge, ask them where to look and learn basic skills. What if in a SHTF situation you are separated? or alone? or your SO is severely ill/injured? Having someone knowledgeable can make us complacent!

I think the most important medical stuff to learn is when to NOT. When to NOT suture a wound. When to NOT superglue a wound, when to NOT wrap a leg / foot. etc. When to NOT give an animal a medication. First aid can kill.
May I ask what is SO and SHTF? Thank you~

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
being rather task oriented i'm often learning via answering questions and many times that is also related to problem solving.
Agree. Answering questions can enhance the quality of what we've learned. Sometimes, it facilitates and inspires brand-new solutions.

Maybe it's like what has been said in the Serenity Prayer - the wisdom to know the differences - between questions/answers and problems/solutions. Both sets can be helpful when they are taken in a balanced way.

Questions/answers often lead to "Why" and problems/solutions to "How and What," - I guess. They also could affect each other.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did that a few weeks ago. A cut on my hand would not stop bleeding. It didn’t even work lol. Glued it shut and had to reapply the glue several times. But it’s now healed just fine!

I now have Vetbond. Better than the superglue Mom uses as it's waterproof superglue for skin. Luckily havent had to try it yet

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After today, probably should add learning how to use/maintain a chainsaw and use sledge hammer and wedges to the list of basic homesteading skills you should learn. But we are restocked with firewood and ready for the next cold snap.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i used some liquid bandaid a few weeks ago when i managed to stab myself with a broken cup. so, yes, you can teach an old-dog a new trick... :) it worked well. we still should get a new package of bandaids because the ones we have are pretty old and when you need them you don't want to be driving down the road with a wad of toilet paper and duct tape or some old shirt wrapped around your paw.